This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats wrong with my harddrive?

#11MrAntike184(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 10:01:35 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
MrAntike184 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Did you bother looking to see what was on the drive before you checked the free space?

???

Did you bother to check that something might actually be on the drive taking up space? Or did you just check the free space and go "OMFGSOMETHINGSWRONG!!!!" ?

I might have done the second thing...
---
"Sig." - Some Guy I Met On Gamefaqs Once
#12FoppePosted 4/23/2013 10:01:57 PM
MrAntike184 posted...
ECWRULZ posted...
Hard drive manufacturers say a gigabyte is 1000 megabytes, and 1 megabyte is 1000 kilobytes, rather than 1024 like the 360 reads it.

.... i think i understand... but explain this to me, my friend got the exact same xbox and his had 320GB!

It is impossible that his system told him that he had 320 GB free space.
The maximum size that you will get out from a 320 GB harddrive is 298 GB, sometimes even less depending on what file system you use. This is true for everything and doesn't matter if you use it for a iPod, a PC, a PS3 or anything else.
Check the maximum size of your PC harddrive and you will see that it's around 7% less than what it's "supposed" to be. It's nothing strange, it's how things works.
The Xbox 360 also reserves some hidden space that you will never see, where it stores system updates (for the games that don't handle it as a separate file), the Xbox emulator, cache, etc.
Some harddrives also comes preloaded with a few demos or even full games, which strangely enough takes up space.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC