This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is buying an S-Video cable worth it?

#1koolboy123Posted 4/25/2013 8:52:32 PM
I currently have a standard/bulky 20 inch flat screen TV from 2005 in my room with standard AV cables and was wondering if using an S-Video cable would provide any notable difference in picture quality. Right now, certain games have such tiny text that it is nearly unreadable because of fuzziness and flickering at such a tiny scale. Would S-Video make this go away?
---
CLEVELAND STEAMER!!!!!
#2TheFeshPincePosted 4/25/2013 8:56:37 PM
s-video is worse
#3JockoPosted 4/25/2013 9:37:59 PM(edited)
Hold on now. If you have a regular non HDTV (which it sounds like you have) and if your current cables are the standard yellow, red and white cables then yes an S-Video cable would provide a better picture. Although I'm not sure if it would improve it to the point of being able to read tiny text though but it would definitely take care of the fuzziness and flickering.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#4flame030191Posted 4/25/2013 9:41:13 PM
The small text can only be resolved (to a point) with HD resolution (buying an HDTV and either using component set to HD or an HDMI cord). The text will still be small usually, but it will be legible.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#5SS_MetalSonicPosted 4/25/2013 9:50:34 PM
I think it will be an improvement
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Sleeping Dogs, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Tomb Raider
#6CapwnDPosted 4/25/2013 9:52:22 PM
You would really be doing yourself a favor by hooking up to a PC monitor. You can have more then one thing plugged into a monitor.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#7darkhorse723Posted 4/25/2013 11:22:20 PM
Go to Aldi and get an HDMI cable for $5.
---
Gamertag: kingofallgaming
#8Yuki SanadaPosted 4/25/2013 11:40:09 PM
An Svideo cable will make the picture allot better.

I haven't seen a 360 Svideo cable out there to buy though. Might wanna check Gamestops website. For sure get one though if its possible.
#9GrimKusanagiPosted 4/26/2013 5:03:10 AM
The only true solution to the problem is a HDTV and a HDMi cable. Believe me I had the same problem.
---
Current Playing: Fallout 3
Always Playing: Fallout 3
#10ILikesCheesePosted 4/26/2013 5:09:45 AM
darkhorse723 posted...
Go to Aldi and get an HDMI cable for $5.

Someone either isn't paying attention or doesn't know what they are talking about.

S-Video cables were a very nice alternative 20 years ago. Now however in the age of HD TVs and PC monitors, you really will not be impressed with the difference it offers over the standard composite cables.

HOWEVER...

Many standard def TVs allow for COMPONENT connections. (These are the Red-Green-Blue cables) On HD TVs component cables will up your screen definition to 720P, and on standard to 480P. These WILL provide a definite visual difference.

But I think you will still be screwed when it comes to the tiny text.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?