This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's wrong with the D-pad?

#31flame030191Posted 4/26/2013 4:20:45 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
flame030191 posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...
flame030191 posted...
It's the awkward disc shape and (IMO) the placement. It just feels clunky and never seems to do what I try to.

In case you didn't notice the greatest D-pad ever made (JP Sega Saturn) was a "disk shape".

The best D-Pad was the one introduced with Dual Shock back in PS1. I'm glad Sony kept it for DS2 and DS3, and hope the one on DS4 doesn't stray too far from it.

Dream on kid. People used to take the piss out of it back when the Saturn and PS1 were going neck and neck,. since it's never been revised by Sony it's just as bad now as it was then. Only the flids who don't know any better proclaim it as being the best. It was crap then and it's crap now. Try playing a game that requires intense 8-way inputs like a shump, you will have thumb cramp before you're off the first stage, the pad doesn't roll. Very uncomfortable!

So, because I prefer the D-Pad introduced back in '96 and hasn't needed a change since then, I'm a "kid" now? /GameFaqs logic

Anyways, many games that require 8-Way input, such as Street Fighter, DBZ: Ultimate Battle 22, and others, I liked playing on PS consoles best. It doesn't hurt my thumb, but I also don't put 500lbs of pressure on the d-pad. Heck, go play Oblivion, and it will show exactly why I hate the disc-shaped D-Pad. Put anything into the 8-Way HotKey slots, and you will never get what you want. That is, not without getting the two items on either side of it 4 times before selecting it. On PS3, I never had a problem with it at all, as all it requires is pressing the two directions at the same time, not trying to press that circle between them.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#322DshmuploverPosted 4/26/2013 4:26:34 PM
flame030191 posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...
flame030191 posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...
flame030191 posted...
It's the awkward disc shape and (IMO) the placement. It just feels clunky and never seems to do what I try to.

In case you didn't notice the greatest D-pad ever made (JP Sega Saturn) was a "disk shape".

The best D-Pad was the one introduced with Dual Shock back in PS1. I'm glad Sony kept it for DS2 and DS3, and hope the one on DS4 doesn't stray too far from it.

Dream on kid. People used to take the piss out of it back when the Saturn and PS1 were going neck and neck,. since it's never been revised by Sony it's just as bad now as it was then. Only the flids who don't know any better proclaim it as being the best. It was crap then and it's crap now. Try playing a game that requires intense 8-way inputs like a shump, you will have thumb cramp before you're off the first stage, the pad doesn't roll. Very uncomfortable!

So, because I prefer the D-Pad introduced back in '96 and hasn't needed a change since then, I'm a "kid" now? /GameFaqs logic

Anyways, many games that require 8-Way input, such as Street Fighter, DBZ: Ultimate Battle 22, and others, I liked playing on PS consoles best. It doesn't hurt my thumb, but I also don't put 500lbs of pressure on the d-pad. Heck, go play Oblivion, and it will show exactly why I hate the disc-shaped D-Pad. Put anything into the 8-Way HotKey slots, and you will never get what you want. That is, not without getting the two items on either side of it 4 times before selecting it. On PS3, I never had a problem with it at all, as all it requires is pressing the two directions at the same time, not trying to press that circle between them.

More power to you if you prefer the DS D-pad, you can't be gentle with it though, it requires you to press firm for it to move. The best D-pad Sony ever made was on the PSP Slim 2000, now that WAS nice. Regarding the 360 controller, the problems you speak off were addressed years ago, there's no issue with games like Oblivion hot keys on the newer pads. I know for a fact as I've experienced it, it was horrible yes but it's not an issue now.
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#33flame030191Posted 4/26/2013 4:28:16 PM
The transformable D-Pad offers very little change for a much more fragile component. Just playing any fighting game with it makes it feel like you're about to shelve out another $60.
---
#342DshmuploverPosted 4/26/2013 4:31:36 PM
flame030191 posted...
The transformable D-Pad offers very little change for a much more fragile component. Just playing any fighting game with it makes it feel like you're about to shelve out another $60.

Been using a transformable D-pad on my official chrome controller for a year now, not fragile at all. There's a world of difference between both the pads in how they feel.
---
#35flame030191Posted 4/26/2013 4:33:21 PM
2Dshmuplover posted...
flame030191 posted...

Been using a transformable D-pad on my official chrome controller for a year now, not fragile at all. There's a world of difference between both the pads in how they feel.

I've had two break in the past year. One just quit responding, the other actually snapped off.
---
#362DshmuploverPosted 4/26/2013 4:49:50 PM
flame030191 posted...
2Dshmuplover posted...
flame030191 posted...

I've had two break in the past year. One just quit responding, the other actually snapped off.

Yeah, of course.
---
#37BrutalBrockenPosted 4/26/2013 5:02:00 PM
Jamanjax posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
Transformers. Perfect controller in disguise!

Only they break on you after a few months and you have to shell out another $60. And before you argue that it's never happened to you, I've seen dozens of them broken among my friends and I've seen them returned at stores for the same reason.

Sounds like your friends need to take care of their controllers!

I've had 2 transforming controllers break also, and im pretty gentle with my controllers. D-pad snapped right off
---
1 Brocken to rule them all!!
XBOX- Brutal Brocken PS3- BrutalBrocken
#38LandonioPosted 4/26/2013 5:08:11 PM
It's ass.
---
ROLL TIDE
Playing: Halo 4, Oblivion: GOTY Edition, Banjo-Tooie HD, Ninja Gaiden II, Tekken Tag Tournament 2
#39AJReiersonPosted 4/26/2013 5:11:34 PM
The Xbox 360 D-Pad is far too stubborn. Go play with a Saturn D-Pad for a while and you'll realize how much of a difference there is between a good D-Pad and a bad one.
---
I write about video games at Retrovolve.com and GeekParty.com! Check them out!
#40NIN_tendoPosted 4/26/2013 6:25:00 PM
Yep, the transforming D PAD controllers do in fact break off after a certain amount of playtime. I bought it so I could play MK9 better, and after about a few months or so it completely snapped off. After it snapped off, you can just look into why it's so poorly designed and built. They "fixed" the D PAD issues, but it's built so bad I wouldn't bother buying another one just for it to break off.

I see this issue is very common too and I treat everything I own very well. I'm a game collector myself, so I'm not someone who buys games and leaves them out of their cases and slaps their controllers around and other things like that... >_>
---
Wii FC 3756-1965-4560-5571
360 GT xX NIN tendo