This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox live connection issue?

#11CapwnDPosted 4/29/2013 12:02:48 PM(edited)
I understand what you're saying, so I will get a router, any suggestions to go nicely with the motorola?

Any router should be fine. However, you also get what you pay for.

I suggest the Asus RT-N16
http://www.amazon.com/RT-N16-Wireless-N-Maximum-Performance-single/dp/B00387G6R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367265506&sr=8-1&keywords=rtn16

It's a good all around router.

But why would my computer be able to get internet from the switch, but the xbox cant, even if it is the only device plugged into the switch? Seems odd..

Because it's looking for your PC's MAC address. I said that if you clone your PC's MAC address to the 360 you should be able to simply unplug one and plug in the other. But I would instead recommend buying a router.
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
#12BlitzBallerJG(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 10:04:32 AM
So I'm not super tech savvy but people say the stock firmware is buggy Do you know if it's been fixed? I'm not sure if I'm savvy enough to install third-party firmware.

And what is dual band? This is single band is that something to concern about?
#13CapwnDPosted 5/1/2013 10:14:52 AM(edited)
So I'm not super tech savvy but people say the stock firmware is buggy Do you know if it's been fixed? I'm not sure if I'm savvy enough to install third-party firmware.

And what is dual band? This is single band is that something to concern about?

I upgraded the firmware to DDWRT but the stock firmware is probably fine.

A true dual band router will have two seperate signals being send out, with two different SSID. There are some routers that say they are dual band, meaning they can broadcast both G and N but they are not true dual band routers.

Single band is ok, Dual band often have higher speeds for N. But keep in mind, that means higher speeds on the network, mostly, , not a big boost when connecting to the internet for gaming. In most households, this comes into play when streaming HD content from your computer to your Xbox or other device.

If you're looking at other routers, I would stick with either Dlink, Linksys, or Buffalo. And I wouldn't get the cheapest you can find.. .something between $60 and $100 is a good place to start. I would look for gigabit and N network. If you want a true dual band router, it's probably going to cost over $100.
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss