This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Activision's Bobby Kotick made ~$65,000,000.00 last year.

#81Perfect LightPosted 4/27/2013 1:17:42 PM
This is why no one takes the cries of "we need more money" from publishers seriously.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#82SheepinatorPosted 4/27/2013 1:21:20 PM
Perfect Light posted...
This is why no one takes the cries of "we need more money" from publishers seriously.

EA restructure results in hundreds of layoffs, two studios closed

Electronic Arts announced today that the company is undergoing an organizational restructure that has "led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations."

Two sources with knowledge of the situation told Polygon that the layoffs, part of EA's extended and ongoing reorganization, now number in the hundreds.

Earlier this month the company laid off an undisclosed number of employees from its Montreal-based mobile development studio.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/25/4266122/ea-layoffs-popcap-vancouver-quicklime
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#83shawnmckPosted 4/27/2013 1:22:46 PM(edited)
^^ @ Perfect Light

I wish.
The truth is some take it very seriously...so much so that they erroneously want to drive places like gamestop out of business, and completely block used games.
They do so because they feel these Publishers don't make enough money....but conveniently neglect to consider how the companies that are crying foul are the same companies that produce crappy games.
#84SparkItUpPosted 4/27/2013 1:28:58 PM(edited)
Winternova posted...
SparkItUp posted...
It only seems as if it is "Sickingly overpaid" because you don't have the opportunity (or more accurately, privilege) of looking at the financial records of Activision and how much profit they have made.

Privilege? Everyone has the opportunity to look at the financial statements - they're a publicly traded company, they have to release them. SEC rules and all.

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1308179-13-253&CIK=718877

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1047469-13-1506&CIK=718877

There. You're now privileged to all the information you need to make an informed opinion about the situation.

By the way, Activision|Blizzard made $418 million in 2010, $1.048 billion in 2011, and $1.149 billion in 2012.

well..okay...no need to be so upset about it...I wasn't being derogatory towards Activision...
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#85shawnmckPosted 4/27/2013 1:28:19 PM(edited)
@ sheepinator

I've read there is a rumor that has yet to be confirmed that EA recently laid off nearly 2,000 people...and closed down a number of Developing studios.

It's a terrible time right now, with a real crappy economy.
People aren't buying many games because they don't have the money, because they don't have a job, or their hours were reduced to part time (to avoid paying ever rising taxes & regulations)...which means games aren't selling in high enough numbers.
It's just a viscous cycle.
#86SparkItUpPosted 4/27/2013 1:36:32 PM
Amazing really how so many of these topics devolve either into grammar checks or the classic "could care less vs couldn't care less" argument. And it's not just any single poster in particular...eventually almost any topic that involves opinions, devolves into one or the other by someone at one point or another.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#87JackBurton85Posted 4/27/2013 8:54:37 PM
BrutalBrocken posted...
of course I feel the same way hearing about proffesional sport athletes or musicians.
Sickingly overpayed

Was planning on reading this whole thread out of boredom but i saw this on page 2 or 3 and just have to correct a bit of dimwitted thinking.

Do people who say things like this realize how much money popular musical acts and athletes bring in for their record company, team, and television networks? Look at the popularity of just football for example, look at how much money is made from it, how much tv networks get from selling commercial time to advertisers during games. Now, knowing how much money is made as a result of millions of people wanting to watch football, how in the hell can anyone suggest the players don't DESERVE their fortunes?

There's a reason these people get paid so much. A crapton of other industries, corporations, and people make a crapton and NONE of it would be possible without the players actually out there on the field. Players deserve a cut, and a HUGE cut at that.

The same goes for popular musical acts. Most of em are complete and total trash without any real talent, but the bad taste masses have deep pockets. If the money is coming in, of course those directly responsible for it deserve their huge share.

Do i think it's absurd people make so much for playing a game or performing music, definitely, however when you look at the economics of it it makes perfect sense. They aren't "overpaid" if they're bringing in the huge amounts of money they're bringing in.

Be sickened by how much people care about sports, by how much people watch it and obsess over it, be sickened by people with horrid taste in music who keep throwing music at the music industry, but it's total nonsense to be sickened by the amount of money the players and stars EARN.
#88green_aboboPosted 4/27/2013 8:58:03 PM
he didn't get a cent from me.

I sleep better @ night knowing this.
#89crucialPosted 4/27/2013 9:10:19 PM
Good he run's somethng that sell's very well and he got filthy rich because of it and is living the american dream,he employs people to work him(many) creating job's,he gives away millions,I remember when everyone wanted to make it to the top in america now everyone just want's to hate on people that make it big,lol you fail at life TC and are just a jealous hater,Jay Z is worth a half a billion and you're made at this guy?
#90PHOENIXZEROPosted 4/27/2013 9:24:01 PM
BrutalBrocken posted...
of course I feel the same way hearing about proffesional sport athletes or musicians.
Sickingly overpayed

This is sickeningly ignorant.

Most pro-atheletes don't make as much as you seem think and the ones that do, do so because they make their team owners a lot of money. Most major athletes make more from endorsements than they do from their team contracts even those who have huge contracts and just like with those endorsements they make that much because they make even more for whomever they're contracted with. Not different than from a lot of segments of the entertainment industry.

Oh and few, VERY VERY few musicians are out there making a lot of money, especially these days. A lot of the "mainstream" acts out there as well don't really make as much as people seem to think and a lot of them are in debt with their labels/companies. There's a reason so many bands are touring constantly, they can't afford not to because they make next to nothing from album sales and rely on merchandise sales unless they have good deals that prevent the company they're contracted with bleed them dry or people aren't illegally downloading their stuff and actually paying for it. People can talk s*** about Kotick but he's a ****ing saint compared to the f***ed up stuff record execs make and get away with not to mention the non-mentioned film industry. People calling their representative bodies the MAFIAA isn't very far off.
---
Band/Artist I've been listening to way too much: Fallon Bowman/Amphibious Assault.
https://soundcloud.com/fallonbowman