This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Activision's Bobby Kotick made ~$65,000,000.00 last year.

#91TheBlueStigPosted 4/27/2013 11:20:29 PM
PHOENIXZERO posted...
Most major athletes make more from endorsements than they do from their team contracts even those who have huge contracts and just like with those endorsements they make that much because they make even more for whomever they're contracted with. Not different than from a lot of segments of the entertainment industry.

Try googling the REAL amount of money most sports players make, especially the recent $110 Million Dollar 5 year contract extension in the NFL, highest paid football player of all time, and that's WITHOUT any endorsements from gear companies.

Any player making more than 6 figures per year is getting paid enough to live comfortably for a long time if they're smart with the money.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#92Nate_Dihldorff(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 3:12:33 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Perfect Light posted...
This is why no one takes the cries of "we need more money" from publishers seriously.

EA restructure results in hundreds of layoffs, two studios closed

Electronic Arts announced today that the company is undergoing an organizational restructure that has "led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations."

Two sources with knowledge of the situation told Polygon that the layoffs, part of EA's extended and ongoing reorganization, now number in the hundreds.

Earlier this month the company laid off an undisclosed number of employees from its Montreal-based mobile development studio.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/25/4266122/ea-layoffs-popcap-vancouver-quicklime

Looks to me like the big wigs should have taken pay cuts instead of laying off all of those people.
---
NCAACP- National Colored Association of Associated Colored People
#93magxPosted 4/28/2013 7:45:37 AM
Does anyone honestly think he'd be compensated this much if he wasn't worth it? We may not understand how his work merits what it does, but the people in charge of these things kind of know what they are doing.
---
http://www.marioslastname.com/ http://magx01.blogspot.com/
<3 Ninja Gaiden Black! I want Dynamite Cop XBLA!
#94CyricsServantPosted 4/28/2013 8:22:52 AM(edited)
magx posted...
Does anyone honestly think he'd be compensated this much if he wasn't worth it?

Yes.

Plenty of CEOs have left corporations they've run into the ground or failed to save wearing golden parachutes. Said CEOs were certainly not "worth it."

While the amount of compensation someone receives might be a good indicator of their perceived value, it certainly doesn't prove they're worth that much.

Like Sheepinator alluded to, I believe others who are willing to be paid a lot less could do a comparable job. Hell, I bet the workforce is overflowing with business persons who'd settle for a fraction of of what Kotick makes and still be just as effective as CEO, if not better.

Like I said previously, I don't really have a problem with Kotick getting an obscene amount of compensation because Activision isn't "my" company nor is ruining the game industry . . . but if I were a shareholder, I might be a little annoyed with him.
#95art_of_the_killPosted 4/28/2013 8:06:08 AM
Perfect Light posted...
This is why no one takes the cries of "we need more money" from publishers seriously.

Not every publisher is fortunate enough to have games that pull billions in profit. In fact, very few do.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#96dj___rollPosted 4/28/2013 8:19:47 AM
Quote:PHOENIXZERO posted...
Most major athletes make more from endorsements than they do from their team contracts even those who have huge contracts and just like with those endorsements they make that much because they make even more for whomever they're contracted with. Not different than from a lot of segments of the entertainment industry.

Try googling the REAL amount of money most sports players make, especially the recent $110 Million Dollar 5 year contract extension in the NFL, highest paid football player of all time, and that's WITHOUT any endorsements from gear companies.

Any player making more than 6 figures per year is getting paid enough to live comfortably for a long time if they're smart with the money.

@TheBlueStig

I'm sure $100,000 a year would easily pay the possible millions in medical after spending years demolishing their bodies.

Besides that, you should google how much of that $110 million is guaranteed. The average pay out on these large salaries is in the 60 percentile area because most of the money hinges on performance and winning games which the individual player has limited control of.

And again, if they being in multi-million dollar revenue, shouldn't they get rewarded for it? Or should management just make all the money?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#97dj___rollPosted 4/28/2013 8:23:30 AM
Quote:Sheepinator posted...
Perfect Light posted...

Electronic Arts announced today that the company is undergoing an organizational restructure that has "led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations."

Two sources with knowledge of the situation told Polygon that the layoffs, part of EA's extended and ongoing reorganization, now number in the hundreds.

Earlier this month the company laid off an undisclosed number of employees from its Montreal-based mobile development studio.

Looks to me like the big wigs should have taken pay cuts instead of laying off all of those people.

@Nate_Dihldorff

Why keep people hired if what they're making isn't good or won't turn out profitable? Also, if you have any knowledge of the video game industry, you'd realize that mass amounts of people are also hired and fired depending on development cycle. They start with a small handful and ramp up to the hundreds when needed. Then they fire/lay-off most of the staff by the end because 99% of the graphics, sound and coding is finished. Why would they keep paying 100s of graphic artists to sit around and not create anything the last few months of fine tuning and testing?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#98chaos_sage0265Posted 4/28/2013 8:29:55 AM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...
Perfect Light posted...

EA? You mean the publisher that budgets every game to sell 5 million copies, when in reality, there's no chance of this happening? They don't need any more money. They just don't know how to spend what they already have.

Dark Souls broke 200,000 sales and Namco Bandai threw a party. EA sold over 500,000 copies of Medal of Honor #2547, despite critical panning, and threw a fit.
---
"We will be remembered for this. White Wall."
#99Boogs34Posted 4/28/2013 8:28:20 AM
that's a lot. even for a ceo of a multi billion dollar company.
#100TheBlueStigPosted 4/28/2013 11:39:43 AM
dj___roll posted...
I'm sure $100,000 a year would easily pay the possible millions in medical after spending years demolishing their bodies.

Besides that, you should google how much of that $110 million is guaranteed. The average pay out on these large salaries is in the 60 percentile area because most of the money hinges on performance and winning games which the individual player has limited control of.

And again, if they being in multi-million dollar revenue, shouldn't they get rewarded for it? Or should management just make all the money?

You do realize that "more than 6 figures" means SEVEN figures right? That's bare minimum $1 Million a year, the lowest paid benchwarmers who barely play more than a few minutes a season make better than that, all just for playing a game. The average NFL career without injuries is usually around 5 to 7 years.

$5 to $7 Million dollars would be more than enough to last someone the rest of their lives if they knew what they were doing with their money and not wasting it all.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin