This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I sincerely hope GTA5 isn't two discs...

#41Shiek120Posted 4/27/2013 10:10:28 AM
I hope it works similar to Battlefield 3/RDR GOTY....Three Discs total...Disc one is the main game...Disc two is a hi-res texture Installation disc....Disc three is multiplayer. DO IT.
---
I'm a Celtic.
#42rockyoumonkeysPosted 4/27/2013 10:14:47 AM
Zareth posted...
I'm fine with multiple discs.

Have an install disc and a play disc

This. Since games are actually doing this now, there's no excuse not to do it. Shame on anyone still rocking a 4GB hard drive.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#43pez2k_Posted 4/27/2013 10:31:00 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
Missions don't take up much space in the GTA games, the majority of the filespace is music and cutscenes.

All they need to do is compress the music down to 320KBPS MP3 and finally kill off the video cutscenes and everything will be fine.

For GTA4 at least, the only video was the TV channels, and the music is already heavily compressed (60-100mb per radio station). The map itself was around 5.4GB, followed by speech files with the same compression as radio at 3GB total (all sizes from the 15GB PC port).

Last-gen your statement is more accurate, but nowadays (well, 2008) the amount of music has stayed roughly the same while texture sizes have increased massively.

From the way GTA4 was structured I don't really know how a multi-disc split would work, other than having one as a mandatory HDD install. A lot of data is duplicated between SP and MP such as pedestrian speech, radio, the map, and so on, unlike BF3 where the two just share prefabs, weapons etc. but have their own maps. Perhaps they'll just trade off texture resolution against file size to stuff it into one DVD.
---
Fixing Turn10's omissions since 2007, and Playground Games' since 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pez2k
#44jjg737Posted 4/27/2013 10:49:37 AM
If you have the 360, it will be no doubt about it. Most probably it will be disc 1 the game, and disc 2 the multiplayer like they did with RDR. Which I thought was fine, didn't ruin the experience at all, for me at least.
#45leon_trunksPosted 4/27/2013 10:49:41 AM
I still play ps1 and gamecube games and I sort of enjoy exchanging disks. It feels like an achievement, you know? Like you've progressed and now and moving to the next stage of the game.
---
Sketch Blog - paperuni.blogspot.com
#46wildog2006Posted 4/27/2013 10:50:50 AM
OmegaPillow posted...
It's a big deal to me, if it happens ill be gettig the superior ps3 version

and I'll be laughing while I play the far superior PC version.

peasants...
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
PSN/Steam- irysh9......................Battle.net- irysh#1743
#47rainbowdragon92Posted 4/27/2013 10:52:58 AM
Halo 4 did it right, install disc and play disc....LA Noire did it wrong, 3 DISC SWAPS!!!
#48Reel_Big_MikePosted 4/27/2013 10:52:58 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
Missions don't take up much space in the GTA games, the majority of the filespace is music and cutscenes.

And what do all the missions have? ...cutscenes.
---
Note to GFAQs mods: You do an absolutely terrible job at modding trolling. Get better at it and give harsher punishments for it.
#49sry_POSPosted 4/27/2013 11:10:53 AM
wildog2006 posted...
OmegaPillow posted...

peasants...

I lol'd. It could very well be on two discs. GTA IV on PC is 14-15GB IIRC. I'm sure the next game won't be smaller. Perhaps in the event that it is on two discs, one can be installed on the HDD and the other used to run the game.
---
|Intel i5 3570K|HIS Radeon HD 7950|16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM|Intel BOXDQ77MK MB|XFX Core Edition 550W PSU|
XBL/PSN: corruptor5150
#50Runner_stylePosted 4/27/2013 11:12:04 AM(edited)
wildog2006 posted...
OmegaPillow posted...

peasants...

And the rest of us will be laughing at you while you wait for a game that Rockstar doesn't have plans on porting over to the pc. Maybe you can sit with those Red Dead pc folk.
---
'Weeaboo, Troll, Fanboy, White Knight' are the last defence used by idiots hoping by saying it will some how validate their opinions/arguments.