This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is an example of a game with bad micro transactions?

#1thebest702Posted 4/27/2013 8:37:42 AM
Everyone is so up in arms about micro transactions and I don't really understand it. In Mass Effect 3 I never felt the need to purchase the packs but thought it was a neat idea if I didn't feel like earning my way up to them. In Call of Duty I never saw why it was a big deal if you wanted to buy another camo. I feel like I am not getting the big secret on why these are so bad?
---
Philadelphia Phillies WIN THE 2008 WORLD SERIES
#2TheBlueStigPosted 4/27/2013 8:41:17 AM
Depends on your definition of "Micro-Transactions".

1. It could encompass all DLC.

Or....

2. It could encompass a way to bypass playing the game to unlock things legitimately by paying real money for ingame items.

Option #2 stands the chance of unbalancing multiplayer by giving rich people a day 1 advantage giving them superior items that usually take hours or days to unlock.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#3SunDevil77Posted 4/27/2013 8:41:45 AM
League of Legends
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
#4RineN1Posted 4/27/2013 8:42:39 AM
Dead Space 3. The micro purchases were basically...unnecesary, you just needed to farm stuff in order to get the same things they offered you.
Up to this day, i dont get it
---
GT: RineN1. State you are from here before adding!
Waiting for: BioShock: Infinite(360) Playing: Terraria(XBLA) Watching: Seitokai Yakuindomo
#5thebest702(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 8:42:56 AM
TheBlueStig posted...

Or....

2. It could encompass a way to bypass playing the game to unlock things legitimately by paying real money for ingame items.

Option #2 stands the chance of unbalancing multiplayer by giving rich people a day 1 advantage giving them superior items that usually take hours or days to unlock.

I understand why they could be bad. I just haven't seen a concrete example in real life. Everyone seems to be afraid of what may happen rather then what has happened?
---
#6master_gamr1231Posted 4/27/2013 8:44:35 AM
Assassin's Creed III, maybe? It lets you buy all the MP abilities without leveling up to earn them.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#7link0316Posted 4/27/2013 8:46:14 AM
Dead Space 3.
---
GT : Zom6iesRPeople2
#8thebest702(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 8:47:01 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
League of Legends

I thought League of Legends was widely accepted as a game that does micro transactions right? Free to play and not pay to win. All items were just purely aesthetic? Or am I mistaken?
---
#9GGearXPosted 4/27/2013 8:49:45 AM
I personally picked remakes and reboots.

Even through people are saying TR was good. I just don't like it for the fact that they used the TR name to sell more copies. Shows how developers or publishers have ran out of ideas .

And yeah I don't get why many people are complaining about Micro transactions. The only thing I think I can think of console side is BF3. Mobile phones have it worse.
---
GT: KryDamoure (The male version of Tomoko Kuroki)
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#10TheBlueStigPosted 4/27/2013 8:53:00 AM
thebest702 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

Or....

I understand why they could be bad. I just haven't seen a concrete example in real life. Everyone seems to be afraid of what may happen rather then what has happened?

Actually the unbalanced multiplayer has happened, people unlocking superior equipment and weapons in FPS games dominated over people that didn't buy the "instant unlock" package. That's why it's a bad idea for multiplayer games.

For singleplayer it's fine, but not for multiplayer.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin