This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is an example of a game with bad micro transactions?

#41WinternovaPosted 4/28/2013 12:07:03 PM
pothocket posted...
B) No, spending a RANDOM amount of REAL money to get what you want is never good. Ever. Trying to spin that into a positive is absurd. You missed the entire point about people not being able to simply buy what they want.

I have every single character. I have most of the weapons - I had all of them until the last DLC dropped. I never spent a single cent on a pack in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I am not behind those who paid for items - I'm in the top 5000 in the world and top 3000 in the US on the N7 Leaderboards.

I'd say it was an example of doing it right - let those people who want to pay for items get them for a price and let those who don't be able to achieve the items through in-game earned credits.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#42pothocketPosted 4/28/2013 12:16:05 PM
Winternova posted...
pothocket posted...
B) No, spending a RANDOM amount of REAL money to get what you want is never good. Ever. Trying to spin that into a positive is absurd. You missed the entire point about people not being able to simply buy what they want.

I have every single character. I have most of the weapons - I had all of them until the last DLC dropped. I never spent a single cent on a pack in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I am not behind those who paid for items - I'm in the top 5000 in the world and top 3000 in the US on the N7 Leaderboards.

I'd say it was an example of doing it right - let those people who want to pay for items get them for a price and let those who don't be able to achieve the items through in-game earned credits.

ANd how much would that have cost if you chose to buy it? You don't know. No one does. What if you just wanted to pay for one character rather than spend who-know-how-long farming and farming and farming and farming?

Am i the only gets how idiotic it is to treat customers like that?

Name me another game with microtransaction where you don't have the option to simply buy exactly what you want for a set price. Where EVERYTHING is random, even for people with actual money.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#43WinternovaPosted 4/28/2013 12:56:42 PM
pothocket posted...
Name me another game with microtransaction where you don't have the option to simply buy exactly what you want for a set price. Where EVERYTHING is random, even for people with actual money.

FIFA, Madden, NHL - The ultimate team packs.

pothocket posted...
ANd how much would that have cost if you chose to buy it? You don't know. No one does.

I could figure it out by determining how many packs I purchased and the MSP equivalent. So it's not unknowable.

pothocket posted...
What if you just wanted to pay for one character rather than spend who-know-how-long farming and farming and farming and farming?

Am i the only gets how idiotic it is to treat customers like that?

It's not idiotic, it's smart on the part of EA. It's random reward conditioning.

The point is that no one NEEDS to spend money on a pack. That's why it's done right, and it's the simple fact that refutes your entire illogical rant against it.
---
#44pothocketPosted 4/28/2013 1:20:28 PM(edited)
Winternova posted...

It's not idiotic, it's smart on the part of EA. It's random reward conditioning.

The point is that no one NEEDS to spend money on a pack. That's why it's done right, and it's the simple fact that refutes your entire illogical rant against it.

"Random reward conditioning" AKA gambling. Why are you guys so intent on spinning this into a positive? You're literally telling people it's ok that EA forces us to gamble with our time and/or money if we want to play their DLC.

I didn't know you were defining well implemented microtransactions as a win-lose scenario rather than win-win. Yes, EA gets all the money and the customers get the shaft. To me that is "a game with bad micro transactions".

I know you're thinking, "but they don't get the shaft because they don't have to spend anything!". I'm talking about being able to enjoy the new DLC without investing who-knows-how-long-10+ hours of playing old characters before getting the one the customer wants.

I've had to give up on ME3 because everytime new DLC hits it's not worth it investing multiple nights worth of old content gaming just to get to that new content. If I could pick and choose exactly what I wanted I would. I would have no problem dropping $2 here and there for a specific character. But I don't have that choice so instead I choose to play something else.

Now continue to tell me how I'm being illogical.
---
#45Dragon NexusPosted 4/28/2013 1:32:32 PM
You're literally telling people it's ok that EA forces us to gamble with our time and/or money if we want to play their DLC.

Who's being forced here? It's entirely possible to get every item offered by their microtransactions by simply playing the game. It's not even made more difficult, like for example the chances of finding stuff in game is a 1% drop rate or whatever but by microtransaction it's a 75% drop.

Yes, EA gets all the money and the customers get the shaft. To me that is "a game with bad micro transactions".

How does the customer get the shaft when everything available via microtransaction is available in-game for free?

I know you're thinking, "but they don't get the shaft because they don't have to spend anything!". I'm talking about being able to enjoy the new DLC without investing who-knows-how-long-10+ hours of playing old characters before getting the one the customer wants.

That's the choice of the individual. If you want to grind for the character, go ahead. If you'd rather attempt to straight up buy it, do that instead. If we didn't have microtransactions you'd only be able to grind for it.

I've had to give up on ME3 because everytime new DLC hits it's not worth it investing multiple nights worth of old content gaming just to get to that new content. If I could pick and choose exactly what I wanted I would. I would have no problem dropping $2 here and there for a specific character. But I don't have that choice so instead I choose to play something else.

And that's your choice. Meanwhile others choose to do something else.
I'd be more inclined to agree with you if I thought you understood what your own problems with the system were.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#46WinternovaPosted 4/28/2013 1:36:17 PM
pothocket posted...
You're literally telling people it's ok that EA forces us to gamble with our time and/or money if we want to play their DLC.

EA didn't force me to do anything, especially with my money. I didn't spend one cent on ME3 multiplayer. I had a blast playing the game and buying the packs. It was enjoyable.

pothocket posted...
I'm talking about being able to enjoy the new DLC without investing who-knows-how-long-10+ hours of playing old characters before getting the one the customer wants.

Most of them included new maps which were available immediately without investing any time. Once the Reserves and Arsenal packs were introduced it was easier to focus on what you wanted - characters or weapons.

pothocket posted...

Now continue to tell me how I'm being illogical.

You are - you had an emotional reaction and took your ball and went home because you didn't get what you wanted. I continue to play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer even though there's no new characters for me to unlock because I enjoy the game. I enjoyed it with what they originally offered and I enjoy it with each expansion. It's just fun, especially helping the newer players get up to speed in the game. All you cared about was getting the new characters and items, not in playing the game itself - so, yeah, you're being illogical, emotional, and irrational.
---
#47pothocketPosted 4/28/2013 1:37:48 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

That's the choice of the individual. If you want to grind for the character, go ahead. If you'd rather attempt to straight up buy it, do that instead. If we didn't have microtransactions you'd only be able to grind for it.

So they changed it to where you can straight buy characters now? Because last I knew it was all random.
---
#48pothocketPosted 4/28/2013 1:46:51 PM
Don't tell me how I play the game, ok? I played it loooong after my friends gave up on it and had a blast breaking the game with my melee Geth Infiltrator for fun rather than profit. It was common for my own team to rage quit because I was too good in a coop game. That was funny to me.

But I moved on and had ZERO incentive to come back because there is a wall of being forced to invest a random amount of time and/or money before getting to new content. (unless they changed it to where you can straight up buy characters but I think DN just doesn't know what he's talking about).
---
#49WinternovaPosted 4/28/2013 1:57:24 PM
pothocket posted...
Don't tell me how I play the game, ok?

I'm telling you how you said you played - you ragequit. That's funny to me as it's childish and immature.
---
#50SheepinatorPosted 4/28/2013 2:05:16 PM
pothocket posted...
"Random reward conditioning" AKA gambling. Why are you guys so intent on spinning this into a positive? You're literally telling people it's ok that EA forces us to gamble with our time and/or money if we want to play their DLC.... Yes, EA gets all the money and the customers get the shaft.

You can't really expect to be taken seriously when making comments like that, can you? EA doesn't "force" anyone to do anything. Is there some guy with an "I work for EA" tshirt in your room holding a shotgun to your kneecaps or something?

The MP in ME3 was way more fun than I expected. I got several sets of DLC, many maps, tons of weapons and mods, all without spending a cent. If that is "getting the shaft" then please, may I have some more.

I'm talking about being able to enjoy the new DLC without investing who-knows-how-long-10+ hours of playing old characters before getting the one the customer wants.

I will agree they handled this poorly. There should have been RNG boxes for a while which only gave content from the latest DLC, and it should weight giving out new characters instead of giving out class XP for an existing character. That's about the time I quit because the pool of items had grown so large that the odds of getting a new character had become much lower.

Having RNG instead of, "I unlocked the four things I wanted and I'm done with the game now", probably means the population stays larger longer, which is a benefit to all players.

Would the system have been better with no RNG and with completely choice driven unlocks? Maybe, maybe not, but what I do know is I had a lot of fun with it and I got a ton of additional content without spending a cent. I call that a win.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.