This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You guys miss learning open world maps?

#1Dragon NexusPosted 4/27/2013 10:33:08 AM
I'm playing through Sleeping Dogs and I'm reminded of how I don't need to learn maps any more in games.

It's kind of the double edged sword for modern games. You can make much bigger game worlds, but the trade off is they're easier to get lost in. I recall GTA3 and knowing every last inch of those roads because you could get around it in maybe 10 minutes, but now we have satnav style map lines to follow, meaning we just follow the line and don't bother looking at landmarks and the like.

It's great we have larger maps, but I kinda miss laying out the game's map on a flat surface near by and working out how to get somewhere. "Hmm, second left, first right, drive for a while, take the third right...and then I'm there" that kinda thing.

How about you guys? Did any of you even do that to begin with?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#2bladegash666Posted 4/27/2013 10:39:25 AM
I'm playing through Sleeping Dogs and I'm reminded of how I don't need to learn maps any more in games.

It's kind of the double edged sword for modern games. You can make much bigger game worlds, but the trade off is they're easier to get lost in. I recall GTA3 and knowing every last inch of those roads because you could get around it in maybe 10 minutes, but now we have satnav style map lines to follow, meaning we just follow the line and don't bother looking at landmarks and the like.

It's great we have larger maps, but I kinda miss laying out the game's map on a flat surface near by and working out how to get somewhere. "Hmm, second left, first right, drive for a while, take the third right...and then I'm there" that kinda thing.

How about you guys? Did any of you even do that to begin with?

I used to play San Andreas without markers. For Los Santos , it was mostly easy. For the outlying areas , IT WAS HELL. San Fierro was a bit better because it was hella small by comparison , but Las Venturas quickly made me switch up.
---
"I was wrong about you ; you are just like one of us. Now you're just being NASTY!"'
#3TheBlueStigPosted 4/27/2013 10:40:55 AM
The same syndrome now exists in some racing games where the perfect racing line is given to you with a red/green/yellow speed marking system. The result is that you don't learn the tracks yourself and rely on the line.

In free roam games I try to turn off the nav system if possible and just drive around getting used to the layout. I don't start the missions right away.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#4SocratoPosted 4/27/2013 10:42:22 AM
Yes I do miss that. It was awesome to know exactly where you were just by sight in GTA 3 and GTA Vice City. It took a long time but eventually you could get anywhere you wanted with maybe only one or two mis-turns. Very fun.
#5SunDevil77Posted 4/27/2013 10:48:40 AM
Awh man, I knew Hyrule from OoT and MM more than my hometown.
---
If life seems jolly rotten, there's something you've forgotten...And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
#6Killah PriestPosted 4/27/2013 10:49:13 AM
I miss learning mechanics and stuff NOT maps/where to go/ or learning how to figure out pointless puzzles.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#7Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 11:07:00 AM
I used to play San Andreas without markers. For Los Santos , it was mostly easy. For the outlying areas , IT WAS HELL. San Fierro was a bit better because it was hella small by comparison , but Las Venturas quickly made me switch up.

GTA3 and VC were both games you could learn the layout to. San Andreas I found you kinda didn't need to. You didn't stay in one place long enough to really get to know it.

The same syndrome now exists in some racing games where the perfect racing line is given to you with a red/green/yellow speed marking system. The result is that you don't learn the tracks yourself and rely on the line.

I try to avoid using those things in games like Forza. I have a fairly good idea of racing lines anyway but I don't want to rely on a crutch.

I miss learning mechanics and stuff NOT maps/where to go/ or learning how to figure out pointless puzzles.

There's a time and a place for both, sure, but some games are a bit over zealous with teaching aids.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be any, because then you get games like Jekyll & Hyde or Dragons of Flame for the NES that don't tell you *anything*. But also "Press A to jump" is kinda irrelevent. Teach me the complex stuff, I can figure out the basics for myself.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#8Killah PriestPosted 4/27/2013 11:10:26 AM
There's a time and a place for both, sure, but some games are a bit over zealous with teaching aids.
I'm not saying there shouldn't be any, because then you get games like Jekyll & Hyde or Dragons of Flame for the NES that don't tell you *anything*. But also "Press A to jump" is kinda irrelevent. Teach me the complex stuff, I can figure out the basics for myself.

Ohh the pop up notifications and constant hud markers are annoying, but without some sort of help you'll get things like La Mulana which with a bit of structure could have been awesome but without it I just kept wandering around cluelessly until I stopped having fun.
---
#9MertensCWPosted 4/27/2013 11:17:51 AM
TheBlueStig posted...

In free roam games I try to turn off the nav system if possible and just drive around getting used to the layout. I don't start the missions right away.

Think of that as a learners driving line. If you follow those with experienced gamers with tuned cars, you will get smoked and at worst cause accidents.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#10Killah PriestPosted 4/27/2013 11:20:02 AM
I bet when you guys go on long trips and stuff you don't buy maps or use a GPS because you don't want your hand held.
---