This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

You guys miss learning open world maps?

#21vigorm0rtisPosted 4/27/2013 1:42:50 PM
Sleeping Dogs wasn't long enough for me to bother to learn all of the map, but I wasn't using navigation in GTA4 or the Saint's Row games after a bit.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#22Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 1:47:52 PM
Sleeping Dogs wasn't long enough for me to bother to learn all of the map, but I wasn't using navigation in GTA4 or the Saint's Row games after a bit.

Saints Row 1 and 2 are good examples because each section is different enough and filled with enough landmarks to navigate by. I don't recall GTA4 doing that quite so much, but I can still recall sections of it and drive along them.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#23Arucard05Posted 4/27/2013 1:49:38 PM
Saints Row 1 and 2 are good examples because each section is different enough and filled with enough landmarks to navigate by. I don't recall GTA4 doing that quite so much, but I can still recall sections of it and drive along them.

GTA IV has one of the best designed cities in videogames. Here's a good article (despite the Kotaku) that's relevant to this discussion.

http://kotaku.com/5828760/youve-been-playing-gta-iv-wrong
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Home of the world famous Retroulette™.
#24Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 4:57:03 AM
GTA IV has one of the best designed cities in videogames. Here's a good article (despite the Kotaku) that's relevant to this discussion.

The point about staring at the mini map...I guess that encompasses my entire argument. It's exactly what I do, I stare at the map keeping half an eye on the road so I don't hit stuff. If I know there's a long straight, I'll watch the road, but I'm going so fast I don't tend to pay much attention.

It does sound like a fun idea, ditching the mini map. I'd still like to have a physical map nearby for reference though.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#25TyrannicalPosted 4/28/2013 5:50:56 AM
No, thank god for video game GPS.
---
Australian customs: Do you have a criminal record?
Me: I didn't think you needed one anymore.
#26darkharePosted 4/28/2013 3:21:10 PM
im curious what was the last open-world game that anyone here has played that didnt both have a map and lead you around by the nose with a compass or trail you followed? the only one i can think of off the top of my head was Fez.

---
I grow drums, rattles, didgeridoos and drone flutes. if intrested send pm.
#27dj___rollPosted 4/28/2013 5:43:32 PM
Quote:The same syndrome now exists in some racing games where the perfect racing line is given to you with a red/green/yellow speed marking system. The result is that you don't learn the tracks yourself and rely on the line.

In free roam games I try to turn off the nav system if possible and just drive around getting used to the layout. I don't start the missions right away.

@TheBlueStig

That's entirely different. The racing line is an aide in driving games you can turn off or on to help beginners with learning the right way to to take corners. It's not a map to help you find your way around.

You make the worst arguments.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#28Shy420Posted 4/28/2013 6:43:16 PM
So you mean to tell me that with markers active you don't learn the maps of open world games? That's pretty ridiculous or you have very poor observation skills. I played Sleeping Dogs and before a quarter of the way through the game I knew my way around that open world well enough that I could get to where I needed to go quickly and without help.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#29str8KnowledgePosted 4/28/2013 6:48:55 PM
I don't enjoy intentionally learning maps. I enjoy naturally recalling the information after the game world impresses me. I don't like huge boring worlds. The map size should be limited by their ability to make interesting features.