This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Call of Duty ruined Gaming.

#81GreatTroySenseiPosted 4/28/2013 7:43:17 PM
Oh, hipsters.

- Kids playing "mature" games and acting like twits started with arcades - particularly with Mortal Kombat.
- Players grinding XP like dinks without game design started with JRPGs and was popularized in the west more by WoW.
- Brainless dudebro shooters started with Halo, or arguably, Goldeneye. Maybe even Unreal.
- Yearly title updates for a full price tag started with sports franchises.

Sure, CoD combines many of gaming's worst examples, but it didn't invent any of them. The series was never known for innovation.

Ignore it and move along. The only people who claim that games need to be more like CoD are aimless Japanese developers who suck for their own reasons and pass the blame. Oh hey, Capcom - didn't see you standing there.
---
These are like, third dimension glasses, you know? They don't really work, though because I feel like I'm still seeing stuff in whatever dimension we live in.
#82ItsTheSasquatchPosted 4/28/2013 7:55:33 PM
The root of the problem is the short-sighted, greed-driven, sociopathic bull**** that's being taught in the Ivy League business schools.

What's happening to gaming is a minor symptom compared to what's happening to society in general thanks to the monsters these schools churn out--rapidly expanding income gap, constant erosion of individual rights and corresponding expansion of corporate "rights" (DRM and EULAs are a relevant example here), the entire ****ing world economy falling apart...
---
*disappears into forest*
#83DagnothPosted 4/28/2013 8:03:39 PM
What is all this?

I dont get it.

Im scared.
---
I feel a whole lot more like I do now then I did a while ago.
#84somebody336Posted 4/28/2013 8:05:40 PM
The amount of hipsters in here is overwhelming.
---
http://crabdom.cu.cc/forums/index.php
Fc: 0490-5171-0607
#85MickleohbPosted 4/28/2013 8:14:52 PM
If you hate Call of Duty style games, then maybe you could say that the franchise ruined FPSs. Otherwise, there are still tons of great games in other genres that are nothing like Call of Duty so obviously gaming is not ruined. Heck, there are even FPSs that aren't that much like Call of Duty.
---
"I've got half a mind to kill you...and the other half agrees" Church from RvB
PSN:Mickleohb GT:MickleohbLite
#86Kamek85Posted 4/28/2013 8:55:48 PM
GreatTroySensei posted...
Oh, hipsters.

- Kids playing "mature" games and acting like twits started with arcades - particularly with Mortal Kombat.
- Players grinding XP like dinks without game design started with JRPGs and was popularized in the west more by WoW.
- Brainless dudebro shooters started with Halo, or arguably, Goldeneye. Maybe even Unreal.
- Yearly title updates for a full price tag started with sports franchises.

Sure, CoD combines many of gaming's worst examples, but it didn't invent any of them. The series was never known for innovation.

Ignore it and move along. The only people who claim that games need to be more like CoD are aimless Japanese developers who suck for their own reasons and pass the blame. Oh hey, Capcom - didn't see you standing there.

I would argue that now is different because in the 1990s / early 2000s, the games you mention didn't completely saturate the market and effectively force other developers to follow suit.

Mortal Kombat never prompted Capcom to bastardize Street Fighter for the sake of "Western" audiences in the same way that CoD appears to have influenced Resident Evil. Goldeneye never devolved into a cookie cutter perennial, flooding the market with some 30 installments the same game.

And you certainly didn't see such widespread anti-competitive practices (e.g. buying out and gutting studios) occur on such a massive scale, in the way that Activision and EA have practically patented. All of this has contributed to the drought of innovation we see today, and it's unlikely to go away by chalking it up to "hipsters."
#87dsar901Posted 4/28/2013 9:01:02 PM
somebody336 posted...
The amount of hipsters in here is overwhelming.

How can you be a hipster if you don't like COD? It's pretty much common sense to not like a game that recycles the exact same game design and experience every year for $60 plus DLC. And hipsters are not known for common sense. Also Sporting games are just as bad as COD, they both deserve hate, but the reason sports games don't get hate is because developers never say: "You know FIFA sold a lot of copies this year... maybe I'll make my resident Evil game more like FIFA".
#88WinternovaPosted 4/28/2013 9:21:21 PM
Xx5ILLYR4BBITxX posted...
It's ppl supporting getting nickel and dimed for dlc for map packs in fps games costumes that should be free in fighters aren't it's just a mess.

Actually, this sentence is a mess.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#89Xx5ILLYR4BBITxXPosted 4/28/2013 10:23:34 PM
Winternova posted...
Xx5ILLYR4BBITxX posted...
It's ppl supporting getting nickel and dimed for dlc for map packs in fps games costumes that should be free in fighters aren't it's just a mess.

Actually, this sentence is a mess.

Choke on air.
/Topic.
---
My 5 Favortive Games of all time are 1) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. 2) Phantasy Star Online EP 1&2. 3) Star Ocean Till The End Of Time. 4) MGS 2 PS2. 5) FF 9
#90chrcolPosted 4/30/2013 1:31:28 PM
COD is bad for gaming.

Look at what they doing.

Same games released annually with a new short story but ultimately the aim of the release is just profit of brand.
Users buy new game for reason that old game is dead on multiplayer.
Users forced to buy map packs for multiplayer experience.
Since released regurly and continues to sell well it encourages other publishers to release clones hence saturation of FPS/online games.
Games released same time as COD ultimately suffer in sales and gaining focus from media.

How many other games have so many releases in one console generation?