This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How about some opinions on Alpha Protocol?

#1ShadowElite86Posted 4/28/2013 7:51:52 PM
I just finished Mass Effect 3 and was wondering if AP is comparable to the ME series. Hows the gameplay/combat and RPG elements? Is it a linear experience?
#2MalefactionPosted 4/28/2013 7:56:55 PM
It's terrible. It's so bad I laughed at it for about 12 minutes and never touched it again. I'm not just saying that in some hyperbole slam against the game either, it's really that bad.
---
There is no love in your violence.
#3master_gamr1231Posted 4/28/2013 7:58:04 PM
Amazing RPG. Far better RPG elements than ME 3. Your choices really do make a difference, and the plot branching is dizzying. Some people talk about how they hate the AI and shooting mechanics, but personally I felt they were fine. One of my all time favorites.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#4JascoDPosted 4/28/2013 7:58:38 PM
It is actually bad. And its old and ugly too. I bought it cheap because a group here on gamefaqs hype it up once a while so I wanted to try it out of course.

Ughh. Just walk away man, just walk away.
---
I don't replay games.
All I ask is that a game be worth playing in the first place.
#5MalefactionPosted 4/28/2013 7:58:58 PM
master_gamr1231 posted...
Amazing RPG. Far better RPG elements than ME 3. Your choices really do make a difference, and the plot branching is dizzying. Some people talk about how they hate the AI and shooting mechanics, but personally I felt they were fine. One of my all time favorites.

Wow, congrats on having zero standards for games.
---
#6TheMuffinPosted 4/28/2013 7:59:42 PM
I think I got 3 achievements in it then sold it. I only paid $10 for it and I still kind of felt ripped off. The character customization is great as long as you want gruff black haired douchebag. The AI is either genius or downright retarded and the actual aiming and movement mechanics feel completely off. It really feels like a game that should have come out either the last year of the Xbox or the first year of the 360.
---
SnowFox7 ~I heard him use the term 'tarantula downpour', which would actually have been significantly worse than the rain we had that day.
#7master_gamr1231Posted 4/28/2013 8:03:51 PM
Malefaction posted...

Congrats on spewing vitriol about a game with absolutely no reasoning.
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#8Dark_SpiretPosted 4/28/2013 8:10:20 PM(edited)
story is very open and rpg elements are better than any ME. writing is great and VO is solid. As far as a spy rpg, this is as good as we've gotten.

that said, its gameplay is adequate, but very janky. Animations dont sync up, reactions can be wonky, ect. it lacks polish in a lot of areas. the game also has some issues with balancing for certain builds and boss fights. Depending on how you look at the combat it can be satisfying or awful since it plays like a third person shooter, but your chances to hit are based on your stats similar to what ME1 did. Stealth is also dictated by your stats to a degre which can be weird, but it works. The games' levels for the most part are linear, but you you can choose what order you do them in and the choices as far as dialog options have some pretty extreme differences in how things play out and choices you make. In terms of a choice/consequence systems go its one of the best currently out there, up there with Witcher 2. Iv beaten the game 4 times and iv still see different choices play out slightly differently.

all in all it comes down to how much value you put on presentation. The game is quite honestly a janky mess from a technical perspective and its not a looker, but its gameplay as long as you go into it expecting an rpg and tailor a few things to account for some balancing issues(specialize in atleast one weapons skills) then its actually very good. you do feel like a spy making choices how you want.

Its 100% worth buying and experiencing, just dont expect a ton of polish. The game gets **** on WAY too much for crap reasons.
---
Currently playing: Kotor 2 - Red Faction: Armageddon - Sacred 2
#9MalefactionPosted 4/28/2013 8:06:27 PM
Malefaction posted...

Congrats on spewing vitriol about a game with absolutely no reasoning.

No reasoning? Are you insane? the game by all respects is absolutely terrible. There's no objectivity here, if you like this game, you have terrible tastes in games. Every other game in existence may have some sort of; subjective compromise, but not this one; this is one of the worst games ever....EVER.

No reasoning? haha that's hilarious.
---
#10DragoonAngerPosted 4/28/2013 8:13:09 PM
I had fun with it. It has a lot of flaws (bad AI, poor graphics, meh shooting), but the dialogue trees are impressive and the fact that the main character is a smarmy dick kept things amusing. If you go in expecting Mass Effect you'll be disappointed but it's a fun budget title.
---
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/863/kenshiroqs6.gif
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/extremejon/1206682497641.png