This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How about some opinions on Alpha Protocol?

#51Dragon NexusPosted 4/29/2013 8:42:50 AM
I've never seen someone try harder to explain away crappy mechanics and gameplay. You should get some kind of medal.

Conversely, I often see people proclaim a game is "just bad" without giving any extended opinion on the matter. Here, have the prize from my Coco Pops cereal.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#52MalefactionPosted 4/29/2013 9:56:22 AM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
It's a game you have to learn to play.
It's something of a throwback to Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 games that were i that limbo between the 16bit era of dumping you in a world and letting you get on with it and the tutorial riddled world of today where your hand is held.

You kinda need to work out how the game mechanics work, you mentally dig into the inner workings to figure out what happens when, why and where. Sonic Adventure was kinda like that in many ways, you're not so much playing as you are remembering the events and preparing for them. Though that's doing AP a bit of a disservice, suggesting you can only have fun when you know what's coming.

I'd suggest a first playthrough you *do not* use assault rifles. Go for pistols, you'll be able to kill things and you'll get a feel for how the gun mechanics work. The game is very RPG orientated, it's barely a TPS at all. Shooting feels stat based because it is. You need to actually learn how to use the guns rather than just running around, spraying and praying. You need to invest points to get better at using the guns so you feel your agent getting better as you do.

The graphics are meh, to be sure, but honestly it's just a backdrop to the gameplay which is pretty good.

The story is really good and the conversation system is brilliant. It's a short enough game that they can have multiple branching paths without them feeling like they get too distant from each other, but different enough that the outcomes always feel unique.

There are flaws, sure. The AI is a bucket of pants and some power ups can really break the difficulty curve and if you're not quite equipped right some bosses are just insane ntil you figure out their trick. For $8 it's an absolute steal. Full price of $60 would have left you disappointed, but I got the game for 15 and found myself playing it over and over until I got every last achievements, and it's rare I find a game I want to play again as soon as I've completed it.

I've never seen someone try harder to explain away crappy mechanics and gameplay. You should get some kind of medal.

This is pretty much everyone who "likes" this game has been doing. It's amazing how much you have to polish a turd to try and sell it to someone. The delusion of gamers is powerful.
---
There is no love in your violence.
#53EvilCactusPosted 4/29/2013 10:40:24 AM
God forbid that a game dare to have quality writing and design. Alpha Protocol has flaws, but it has so many qualities that have been unsurpassed in other games. In other words, it's a flawed gem. Mass Effect 3, on the other hand, is a perfect example of a generic polished turd. It's a bad game with trite gameplay and amateur writing, but still has plenty of gimmicks and action to appeal to video game bloggers.
---
sig here
#54MalefactionPosted 4/29/2013 10:59:30 AM
EvilCactus posted...
God forbid that a game dare to have quality writing and design. Alpha Protocol has flaws, but it has so many qualities that have been unsurpassed in other games. In other words, it's a flawed gem. Mass Effect 3, on the other hand, is a perfect example of a generic polished turd. It's a bad game with trite gameplay and amateur writing, but still has plenty of gimmicks and action to appeal to video game bloggers.

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how stupid and wrong it is.
---
There is no love in your violence.
#55MurphysGhostPosted 4/29/2013 11:04:01 AM
Eh, Mass Effect 3 is pretty kick-ass.

Certainly not as well-written as AP, but it's much better actual game...
---
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
#56BlueJester007Posted 4/29/2013 11:05:49 AM
Storywise:
The game is awesome. Your choices actually have different outcomes and the way you treat people can affect your game. Voice-acting is solid and the story itself is pretty entertaining.

Combat:
It is kind of bad. The only way to win is to use pistols. You get this awesome ability called Chain Shot. It is very similar to Dead Eye from Red Dead. It is quite possibly the most powerful power in the whole game.
---
Metal Gear Solid 3 is the best game out of the MGS series because it is the least Japanese.
#57cmwmccalPosted 4/29/2013 11:06:12 AM
It's an amazing game. The choice/consequence system is one of the best ever.
---
It irritates me when people say RPG games.
RATLANK501 IS BACK!!!!!
#58BingSanpaoPosted 4/29/2013 11:14:05 AM
It's a good RPG with broken game play but I had a lot of fun playing a pistol+stealth combo. It's rough around the edges but there's something worth playing in there.
#59Dark_SpiretPosted 4/29/2013 11:15:23 AM
i doubt anyone will argue that AP is a janky mess, but its a FUN janky mess. tuning your character with rpg stats all over, upgrading equipment, answering hilarious emails, building your character with a rockin lumberjack beard and beret, using bullet storm on the smg's and running around like an idiot with infinite ammo, going invisible and chopping people in their necks, sleeping with anything on two legs, 1 shotting bosses with ridiculously overpowered handguns, telling everyone to **** off in the dialogs and in general being a crazy bastard.

its just a fun, often crazy game that plays off the rpg systems extremely well. Its got a lot of potential negatives, but a lot of positives as well.
---
Currently playing: Kotor 2 - Red Faction: Armageddon - Sacred 2
#60Dante729Posted 4/29/2013 11:21:39 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Conversely, I often see people proclaim a game is "just bad" without giving any extended opinion on the matter. Here, have the prize from my Coco Pops cereal.

Pretty much this.
---
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.