This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are good HD TV specs for gaming?

#1Aadrian1234Posted 4/28/2013 11:01:01 PM
I will be buying my first HD TV, and I will probably be on a $200-$300 budget, and I'm getting a small HD TV for in my room. Few questions. Is refresh rate the cause of input delay? Some HD TV's have horrendous input delay when gaming (such as the TV in our living room), and some have nearly no delay. What is the ideal range of hertz (that's Hz, correct?) for gaming so you don't see any delay?
Also, how do you find out if a TV has burn-in or not without actually using it, for example, at a store?
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#2Aadrian1234(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 11:46:02 PM
And also, would LED or LCD be better?
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#3dsardinaPosted 4/29/2013 12:22:20 AM
For that price, you won't have many options. Plasma is the best for gaming and you won't be able to get 1080p on a plasma at that price range. You will have to go with LED/LCD at 60hz which is low for sports or gaming. I would save a little more and go plasma 600hz, better viewing angles, and the best natural picture. Check CNET.com for reviews and Google a couple u like. Hope this helps.
#4CapwnDPosted 4/29/2013 12:55:50 AM
The image retention would drive me nuts in Plasma. The noise, the heat, and the screen sparkle from sitting closer for gaming.... would not want a plasma for gaming.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#5BeefEasterPosted 4/29/2013 1:14:45 AM
CapwnD posted...
The image retention would drive me nuts in Plasma. The noise, the heat, and the screen sparkle from sitting closer for gaming.... would not want a plasma for gaming.

is this 2008?

pretty much all of those things are a non-issue with current plasmas
#6CapwnDPosted 4/29/2013 1:22:29 AM
CapwnD posted...

is this 2008?

What in particular are you referring to? All of those things are still an issue. Not sure if sparkle is the correct term, but when you sit too close to a plasma, as one might for gaming, you see it.
---
#7The_Dark_Slay3rPosted 4/29/2013 1:34:15 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8BeefEasterPosted 4/29/2013 1:46:46 AM
CapwnD posted...
CapwnD posted...

is this 2008?

What in particular are you referring to? All of those things are still an issue. Not sure if sparkle is the correct term, but when you sit too close to a plasma, as one might for gaming, you see it.

I'm literally sitting 6 feet from a 51" inch plasma as I'm typing this and I have none of those issues

it does put off heat but you have to be standing over the top of the tv to notice it
#9CapwnDPosted 4/29/2013 1:56:01 AM
The sparkle... Maybe that isn't a problem anymore, I don't know. In black screens, there's no sparkle when you're close?

Heat is heat. It puts off more heat then the other TVs mentioned. I didn't mean to imply it will give you a tan from sitting near it.

Image retention... as far as I know nothing can fix that, that's just how it is with Plasma.
---
#10BeefEasterPosted 4/29/2013 2:02:45 AM
I've never noticed a sparkle.... I'm actually not even sure what you're referring to with that one

as for image retention, there might be a bit of ghosting if I have something static on my screen for a while but it's only noticeable against a black background and it quickly fades away