This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you believe piracy will ultimately destroy the gaming industry?

#11Dragon NexusPosted 4/30/2013 2:24:00 PM
That isn't how that actually works, piracy is simply an unavoidable by-product of all creation related product - be it sold or free.

Piracy exists even with freely distributed product, think bout that for a second.

The Witcher 2 went DRM free the week of released. The first patch available stripped out any DRM right down to the CD-key screen.
And yet, the most commonly pirated version was the one that contained DRM so the pirates could bundle their own crack program with their name on it.

There are many reasons pirate do what they do, but often "I want the free thing" isn't one of them.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#12VeryDarkSoulPosted 4/30/2013 2:24:12 PM
With games still selling millions of copies, piracy is a freakin' excuse.
---
Ron Paul 2012
#13LoneCourier2281(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 2:31:42 PM
I was going to keep my opinion out and just gather other's opinions and see what everyone thinks, but I suppose I should interject.

I see it being a double edged sword, there are some instances where it could be beneficial, fan patches are sometimes better than company ones.

But in the way of the PSP, yes I do see an issue.

Pirating in terms of sales is really no different than say going to GameStop and buying a used copy of a game. They get nothing out of that either.

I think DLC is a big problem in some downfalls.
---
Currently playing Lunar Dragon Song
#14Arucard05Posted 4/30/2013 2:34:19 PM
No.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Home of the world famous Retroulette™.
#15DebaserZeroPosted 4/30/2013 2:34:55 PM
hell no

about 20-25 years ago we had this place called Software Hogs in my hometown. You could rent PC, Amiga, C64 games. You could also rent software that had cracks for most of those games.

shortly before and during that time I was getting pirated games from local BBS.

nothing has changed
#16WayWardFelixPosted 4/30/2013 2:45:56 PM
yes absolutely all the time......
---
Just another day....:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4TQ4Nlj_fQ
#17kungfuj0Posted 4/30/2013 3:06:25 PM
No, I don't think piracy is ruining anything. There is no guarantee that someone who pirates a game was ever going to actually buy that game, even if there were no ability to pirate it. You can't count that as a lost sale, because you don't know what that person would have done if he hadn't been able to pirate it.

On the other hand, I have indeed heard of people who actually pirated a game and liked said game so much that they not only went out and bought said game, but they also went on to buy other games from that company in the future. The pirated copy was essentially a demo for them and they ended up spending lots of money on the company's games going forward.

In fact, from what I hear, the people who put out pirated releases often tell the people who download those games to actually buy the game if they like it enough. So even the crooks themselves are encouraging games sales if a person likes the game enough.

Bottom line in all this is that IMO, its not pirates or used games sales that is hurting the industry right now. It is the industry itself. Things like DRM and nickel-and-dime DLCs are doing far more harm than the pirates and used game sellers have ever done.

As an example, I, myself, am strongly considering skipping the next generation of consoles. That has nothing to do with pirates or used games. It has to do with me just flat out not liking the direction that the industry is going, and me not wanting to put my money into it. They seem to forget sometimes that I am the customer and that they need me and people like me far more than I (we) need them. Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity, and if the industry isn't giving me what I want, then I'll gladly spend my money elsewhere or just keep it in my pocket.
---
Alabama Crimson Tide: Now serving title #15..
ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
#18Dragon NexusPosted 4/30/2013 3:06:47 PM
I was going to keep my opinion out and just gather other's opinions and see what everyone thinks, but I suppose I should interject.

I see it being a double edged sword, there are some instances where it could be beneficial, fan patches are sometimes better than company ones.

But in the way of the PSP, yes I do see an issue.

Pirating in terms of sales is really no different than say going to GameStop and buying a used copy of a game. They get nothing out of that either.

I think DLC is a big problem in some downfalls.

Thing is, TC, piracy almost always boils down to a matter of service. If the pirates are providing a better service than the default option, many people will trn to the pirates. It's why Steam does so well, because they worked to combat pirates not with intrisuve and ineffectual DRM but by offering a better service. Thousands of games in one place with automatic patches all linked to a single account you can take anywhere as well as incredible sales and tech support should you need it with damn near every game on the market able to run just fine as soon as you download it. That's a service way beyond what the pirates were offering before hand.

iTubes is the same. Before you'd search through Kazaa or Limewire to find the song you wanted and *maybe* you'd get it, but usually it would be a low quality version or maybe have a part missing or be the wrong song entirely. iTunes came along and provided a relatively cheap way of getting whatever song you wanted, even if you just want one song from an album.

PSP failed because its digital service was god-awful. Still kinda is. Playstation 1 games were promised but were dribbled out so goddamn slowly that it was like pulling teeth. You'd get maybe one good game a month and a whole bunch of random crap no-one wanted. Pirates gave us custom firmware so we could just use our own PSX files on the PSP and play them right away. Pirates provided a better service.

Theres also the logic falacy that every pirated copy is a lost sale. It's not always the case. Many will pirate it either to test the game out to see if it works on their system (and if it doesn't the guy woudn't buy it anyway, so not a lost sale), or to use it as an extended demo before buying it (or realising he didn't like it, in which case, not a lost sale). Some people pirate because there's no option to buy it anywhere any more. Unless you want to pay $200 on ebay. Some people pirate because they simply wouldn't have paid money for the game *for whatever reason and that's not a lost sale either.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#19Arucard05Posted 4/30/2013 3:10:54 PM
PSP failed

hiiiiissssssssssss
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Now celebrating one year of irrelevance.
#20QuetzocoetlPosted 4/30/2013 3:32:08 PM
Doubtful. While it has a mostly negative impact, for the most part, piracy isn't nearly as big of an impact on the gaming industry as one might think.
Piracy will only kill the industry if it becomes idiot proof and unpunishable. Like being able to just download games a games onto a flash drive and play it straight from your 360 without any fear of banning nor need to hack your hardware.
---
Retribution Boards >retribution.muux.org< -Free Forum, Free Speech.
Gamertag: Quetzocoetl