This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gearbox and SEGA Sued Over Aliens: Colonial Marines

#1BBBanks03Posted 4/30/2013 5:41:28 PM
I was sure I'd come over here and see the board rife with discussion on this already, and yet it doesn't seem to have been posted yet. If it has, my apologies. Here it is:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/gearbox-sega-sued-over-aliens-colonial-marines?abthid=51806b00e9cae3417700003b

From the article: "In a lawsuit obtained by Polygon, plaintiff Damion Perrine claims “that Gearbox and Sega falsely advertised Aliens by showing demos at trade shows like PAX and E3 which didn't end up being accurate representations of the final product.”

I'm pretty damn shocked it's actually come to this, but I know the game pissed a lot of people off. Thoughts?
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#2Pacman2dxPosted 4/30/2013 5:43:04 PM
They should refund money to all the poor souls who bought the game.
---
XBL - FA7ALtheGOD / PSN - FATALtheGOD
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. - Bob Marley
#3JamanjaxPosted 4/30/2013 5:45:28 PM
This **** is ridiculous.
---
He who has the blues, has a good thing.
#4TheBlueStigPosted 4/30/2013 5:46:59 PM
Can't say I'm surprised, they release "gameplay demos" only to have the final product not be anything like those demos, I'd consider it false advertising.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5Perfect LightPosted 4/30/2013 5:50:21 PM
Jamanjax posted...
This **** is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous? If it were any other product, the makers would be held liable and no one would bat an eye over people getting upset. When you advertise one thing and then deliver another, that's false advertising. If they said the new iPod would have a whole bunch of new stuff it didn't have before and then you got it and it had none of the things they promised, you would be pissed. This is the same thing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#6JamanjaxPosted 4/30/2013 5:59:46 PM
Jamanjax posted...
This **** is ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous? If it were any other product, the makers would be held liable and no one would bat an eye over people getting upset. When you advertise one thing and then deliver another, that's false advertising. If they said the new iPod would have a whole bunch of new stuff it didn't have before and then you got it and it had none of the things they promised, you would be pissed. This is the same thing.

Gaming isn't so static. Every game undergoes a number of changes from one showing to another, and this one was no different. It's a little different than advertising features for a new iPod and just cutting them before release.. There was literally nothing we were shown that wasn't in the full product, the problem is that the trailers made what we were given look much better than it was. That happens. And that's okay.

What isn't okay though, is gamers that set their expectations far too high, and blame anyone but themselves. Even worse when it results in a kneejerk reaction like this.. All these needless disputes are really puttin' a hurt on the industry.
---
#7glassghost0Posted 4/30/2013 6:00:26 PM
If anyone should get their money back, it should be people that paid to see Snow Dogs
---
No Thanks
#8SirLemontPosted 4/30/2013 6:02:30 PM
Jamanjax posted...
Jamanjax posted...
This **** is ridiculous.

Gaming isn't so static. Every game undergoes a number of changes from one showing to another, and this one was no different. It's a little different than advertising features for a new iPod and just cutting them before release.. There was literally nothing we were shown that wasn't in the full product, the problem is that the trailers made what we were given look much better than it was. That happens. And that's okay.

What isn't okay though, is gamers that set their expectations far too high, and blame anyone but themselves. Even worse when it results in a kneejerk reaction like this.. All these needless disputes are really puttin' a hurt on the industry.

And THIS is why game publishers continue to get over gamers.
#9JamanjaxPosted 4/30/2013 6:03:31 PM
And THIS is why game publishers continue to get over gamers.

Care to elaborate?
---
#10Res5Posted 4/30/2013 6:04:52 PM
There is such a thing as false advertising and they probably could have said, like many other trailers and demos do, that this will not be indicative of the final product. The suit itself has plausibility even if it could have been prevented so easily.

Ultimately people should assume that a demo is never representative of a game fully because they change things because of problems implementing a system into a game before release or even in some cases a demo is totally different from the rest of the game because it's only a small part like Brutal Legend.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com