This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are map packs and costume packs really worth it to you guys?

#21Super CreaturesPosted 5/2/2013 10:38:20 PM
Map and costume pack purchases, like most of my DLC purchases, are based on a game by game basis, as well as the price, since not all of them are priced the same or give the same amount of content.

I refuse to answer a generalized yes or no question, because by doing so, I would be stating that all map and costume packs either are or aren't worth it to me, which would be a blatant falsehood.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#22RedFive3Posted 5/2/2013 10:47:59 PM
Map packs, yes, depending on the maps in question as well as the game itself.

Costume packs, never.

---
I'm your huckleberry...
You spend nine months trying to get out, and the rest of your life trying to get back in.
#23fiasco86Posted 5/3/2013 10:34:57 AM
Jamanjax posted...
BlueJester007 posted...
Gary Stanton posted...
Nothing like spending $10-15 on a map pack, only to find out you're the only one in the world that's playing it online.

This.

I bought one of the map packs for Halo 3, back in the day. I could not find a game on those maps for the life of me.

The problem with map packs in the Halo series is that Halo's matchmaking doesn't do anything to try to match you with players who have the maps. This generally results in people never getting to play the maps they pay extra for. I learned my lesson about buying Halo map packs from Reach.

COD does this much better and matches you exclusively with players that have the maps. Too bad that with all the COD emulation in Halo 4, 343 wasn't smart enough to copy this.

I disagree.. CoD doesn't do a damn thing to match you with other player's who've bought the maps. Halo 4, on the other hand, does. My general rule of thumb is, even if I like the latest CoD (which is rare), I won't buy the latest map packs. IW/Treyarch doesn't need the support.

That statement is entirely wrong. Halo 4 has had DLC playlists for a month or two after the DLC is released, but once those are gone, they're gone. If you join regular matchmaking playlists, the matchmaking algorithm doesn't even take DLC into account, so the only way you will ever play DLC maps in a regular playlist (which will be your only option soon as the DLC playlist will disappear) is if everyone in the match happens to have the DLC, which is extremely rare. COD, on the other hand, only MM you with players who have the same DLC you do (or at least the MW series does...I'm not entirely sure about BLOPS).
---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY
#24tubb311Posted 5/3/2013 10:38:54 AM
depends on the game
#25beautifuldreamsPosted 5/3/2013 11:36:35 AM
kingwutugu posted...
i only buy map packs for games like GOW where you can have bots
usually this
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#26TheIastspartanPosted 5/3/2013 12:21:36 PM
It depends on the game/maps, but I'm usually ok with buying map packs because despite 4-5 maps seeming like very little content, it allows me to blow some dust off the game and extend its replayability by at least a day or two. 24-48 hours for 15$? Well worth it to me.

Costume packs, however? HELL NO.