This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Broken Disc Drive: DIY or repair shop it for $55?

#1trulyrealPosted 5/2/2013 1:07:28 PM
My Disc drive is having trouble reading again. Happens almost every year and a half. I don't have warranty anymore plus microsoft charges $100 every time this problem occurs.

So i was thinking of either Doing it myself ( I don't know what materials i need, how much time it takes, or how much it costs) or taking it to a local repair store. My experience in repairing broken stuff like this is moderate. The store said they'd replace the lens entirely which might make them a better option?

Which do you guys think would be cheaper and easier to do? and In the long run would it be better for me to learn it myself, or keep relying on repair places?
---
My signature signifies nothing!
#2AWarAmp84Posted 5/2/2013 1:14:14 PM
If you're confident that you'll be able to do a good job replacing it yourself then go ahead as it's definitely the cheaper way. If you think you'll screw it up then send it in.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#3TheBeastWithinPosted 5/2/2013 8:22:49 PM
You don't have much to lose by trying it yourself. If you screw it up and somehow damage the drive further (which I don't think is likely) or fail to fix it, then you can take it into the repair place. Odds of you messing up something else are so low I would say that you have nothing to lose, really, except time. If you have that, no reason not to try it yourself first.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#4ArkonBladePosted 5/2/2013 9:01:39 PM
I am taking it you still have one of the white model 360's. they are just junk when it comes to the disc drive . 7/10 of mine that have broken have been related to that stupid drive in some way or another. You are better off getting a slim version. I haven't heard of really any issues with the slims at all. I have had mine for over 2 years and works great.

Basically your just going to keep having to repair that pile of crap if its a white model one so unless you don't mind doing it I'd say upgrade.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#5squidney2k1Posted 5/2/2013 9:31:23 PM
Replacing a laser (which is usually the problem) is a bit trickier than replacing the drive itself. If you can open up your Xbox and unplug the drive, then you're 90% there.

I think lasers run about $15, and drives about $30.
---
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.
#6trulyreal(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 12:46:30 AM
well, i found a friend who REALLY knows how to repair this kind of stuff. He promised to show me so i can do it myself in the future. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
---
My signature signifies nothing!
#7GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/4/2013 12:50:58 AM
Replacing the hardware is easy. The firmware is where it gets annoying.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.