This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel bad for kids that grew up on this gen of gaming?

#81TheBlueStigPosted 5/6/2013 9:34:32 AM
I feel bad for people who have crap about killing babies in their sig....
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#82HeliosAscensionPosted 5/6/2013 9:53:48 AM
SparkItUp posted...
No TC...I do not. One day, they will view the 360 as the best gaming system ever and view gaming with nostalgia eyes just as we do about previous gens.

This pretty much sums it up. it's all cylical.
---
I don't need games to be mature.I need them to entertain me.And sometimes what entertains me is a couple chicks with huge bouncing chests pummeling each other.
#83SunDevil77Posted 5/6/2013 9:59:25 AM
Quote:I do...there was so much creativity before this gen...whole genres have been missing or non existent for the whole gen 7-8+ years!

mech assault...gone

tactical shooters gone

and all we have is sequel mania...rehashes of the same games or new games with the rehash elements included

@MRL3G3ND
Lol. Indie games being on the rise says hello.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#84TheBlueStigPosted 5/6/2013 10:01:59 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
Quote:I do...there was so much creativity before this gen...whole genres have been missing or non existent for the whole gen 7-8+ years!

mech assault...gone

tactical shooters gone

and all we have is sequel mania...rehashes of the same games or new games with the rehash elements included

@MRL3G3ND

You mean the same Indie games that are just rehashes of everything that's already been done?
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#85DakhanavarXPosted 5/6/2013 10:10:43 AM
Super Creatures posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
I mean, Morrowind is still a better Elder Scrolls game, and Unreal Tournament and System Shock 2 are still better fps games.

So that somehow means that it is impossible for a game that isn't as good to still be good?

Just because older games might be better (how much of this is nostalgia?) does not mean newer games aren't good.

Of course, in a world of idiots that think games that get review scores of 8/10 are mediocre, and 7/10 means it is a pile of steaming ****, not to mention the "cool to hate" mentality that is rampant, I'm not really surprised you have to **** on other people's opinions on what is and isn't a good game.

This. I don't feel bad for kids that grew up on this gen of gaming. However, I do almost feel bad for the people that never grew up past some older gen of gaming and seems to think that just about everything today is awful.

Saying that someone calling Skyrim is good is pathetic? Really? I'd love to live in a world where Skyrim was the bottom of the barrel and it only got better from there. Skyrim isn't perfect, but neither was Morrowind (And I'm a huge fan of Morrowind). And why stop there? Might as well say that Daggerfall (Or hey, why not Arena) is better than Morrowind, and that Doom is better than UT.

It's not really any different than our parents and their, "Back in my day!" rants. The only difference now is we're the ones telling younger people how much better everything use to be. But of course, things really were better back in *our* day, not like when our parents told us, or when their parents told them...right?
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#86Gunvalkyrie2Posted 5/6/2013 10:12:07 AM
HeliosAscension posted...
SparkItUp posted...
No TC...I do not. One day, they will view the 360 as the best gaming system ever and view gaming with nostalgia eyes just as we do about previous gens.

This pretty much sums it up. it's all cylical.

---
It's not just a rumor, I heard it on Gamefaqs.
#87tubb311Posted 5/6/2013 10:22:58 AM
as good as Goldeneye was on the N64, the invention of dual analog stick controller forced goldeneye's gameplay to not hold up over time.
#88MRL3G3NDPosted 5/8/2013 8:38:38 AM
SunDevil77 posted...

mech assault...gone

tactical shooters gone

@MRL3G3ND

yeah...I'm sorry, I already lived through the 90's 2d rudy-poop dinky dink doopy doopy dooo low budget games no longer excite me.

It's like this gen they reached a high level and then fell back...and a generation of people who weren't there when games like strider and rygar were great, are discovering new rehashed gameplay...

seriously whats the next best thing beyond FPS...2D side scrollers? gtfoh
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#89UniqueNameBro(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 8:21:10 PM
Quote:as good as Goldeneye was on the N64, the invention of dual analog stick controller forced goldeneye's gameplay to not hold up over time.
@tubb311

But.... Goldeneye... :/
#90BigTlovesBEERPosted 5/11/2013 9:36:20 PM
Each progressive "generation" of gaming far exceeds the one before it. At least so far. Believing anything else is simply giving into your own nostalgia. Which is fine, but irrelevant if we're talking about culture as a whole not not just YOU.

So no, I don't feel bad for this generation of gamers. I feel bad for the morons who act like "games haven't been good since the gensis died!" and continue to play nothing but old stuff and refuse to accept new experiences in gaming as worthwhile. You guys are the ones I pity.