This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you feel bad for kids that grew up on this gen of gaming?

#91UrbanMessiahPosted 5/11/2013 11:11:03 PM
I apparently lack the nostalgia that is running rampant in this topic because not only do I not feel bad for this generations of gamers, I sort of envy them. When old age robs my reflexes and eyesight, or I'm just plain dead, I'll miss the amazing new advances in gaming that will surely come. Plus, this gen always has the option to play older games if the wish...although, speaking as someone that was around for the release of those games, I can't really imagine why they would want to, at least anything below the PS1 and Dreamcast, and maybe certain SNES and Genesis titles. In my case at least, warm fuzzy memories of those games don't stand up to the cold reality that in truth, they weren't all that great, really. It was just a matter of there was nothing else better at the time, unlike now.
---
I hate you, I hate you, I don't even know you & I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you & nobody else but you! -=)
#92Taplamp2Posted 5/11/2013 11:30:25 PM
Banana_Mana posted...
I feel bad for those growing up with smartphones, facebook, twitter and a constant need to check social media.

This. This. This.
#93Homie_202Posted 5/11/2013 11:35:09 PM
NeVaRmoore posted...
I don't feel bad for them so much as they disgust me. A majority of them are whiny brats.

This
#94Perfect LightPosted 5/11/2013 11:36:09 PM
UniqueNameBro posted...
Today's cartoons a garbage compared to the ones I grew up on. Although my elders would say the same, I guess its just a never ending cycle.

EVERYONE think that the cartoons THEY watched were best and the rest were garbage. It's called nostalgia. Go back and try to watch some of them now. Most don't hold up like we seem to remember.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#95Lightning_fanPosted 5/12/2013 12:37:27 AM
alpo706 posted...
I wouldn't describe the feeling as pity so much as contempt.

The vast majority of these kids just have no idea what makes a good game; they play for flashy BS that has nothing to do with gameplay.. They embrace franchises that debase the genres they've taken over.

And most of all they're freaking terrible at playing games, because the lack of difficulty in modern games has just gotten absurd. Dark Souls would have been an ordinary game 20 years ago, now it's "punishing" and "masochistic". I don't even like the game that much, but at least it doesn't treat me like I lack motor control of my fingers and a functioning brain like the majority of current gen titles.

There were plenty of easy SNES games, Genesis games, etc.
#96CapwnDPosted 5/12/2013 12:39:10 AM
Hell no. And I'm not just saying that because they're going to have to wipe my ass some day.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#97CapwnDPosted 5/12/2013 12:43:06 AM(edited)
I feel bad for those growing up with smartphones, facebook, twitter and a constant need to check social media.

True. I was watching people in a mall once, and so many were just looking at their phones. It was kind of creepy. Then I saw two teenage boys, walking side by side, both were f****ing looking at their phones, fingers texting away instead of... well y ou know... f***ing living like a human being.

I get it. I love technology too. I don't need to be texting at the speed of light while walking through a mall. Unless they were both setting up a clan match for later, that behavior is inexcusable.

Bunch of douchebags.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#98_LordAndSaviorPosted 5/12/2013 5:36:05 PM
I do but my little brother has actually played some of my old N64, Gamecube and SNES games so it's not that bad.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#99BrutalBrockenPosted 5/13/2013 1:31:15 AM
I just feel bad that alot of people are spoiled by the advances of games today never realizing where it started. When did enjoying something besides Call of Duty make you a newb? The same kids that send me hatemail when I destroy them at Injustice and call me a newb. Even though im 32 and have been gaming for 25 years.
I really hate the word newb, please stop it. Its dumb
---
1 Brocken to rule them all!!
XBOX- Brutal Brocken PS3- BrutalBrocken
#100beastwarkingPosted 5/13/2013 2:32:51 AM
Why would I feel bad for people who, for the most part, are happy? Nostalgia is a hell of a drug and I think people like to ignore the bad things of the past because well, who the hell wants to remember bad things? I grew up at the pinacle of the SNES's popularity, and I also had a cousin who was really into the NES when that first came out, and as such it was the console I had the most exposure to before I got my SNES for Christmas when I was 5.
My opinion of the most common complaints:
Games are derivative today? - Well on the NES we had the Mario clones, the endless amount of terrible side scrollers, etc. Never played the Genesis, but I can't imagine it was much different on that end.
Games are all about graphics - Anyone remember "blast processing" and the bit wars?
"Quality" has dropped - Shaqfu, Superman 64; half of the NES's library could be described as a combination of broken and unbeatable and that isn't counting the merely bad games like Xenophobe, would all like to disagree with that assertion. I'd argue that there are more upper tier games these days with there also being less low end games. While there are more games being released, I still think that the ratio of good to bad is greater in favor good games than it was in previous generations
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong
Hail to the king, baby