This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it possible for devs to ship 2 discs, install the 2nd and play all from 1st

#31Stubbled_PS3Posted 5/3/2013 10:55:32 PM
Pretty sure that Castlevania: Lords of Shadows did this
---
360 GT--- Stubbled CRT1
PSN--- StubbledCRT1
#32TheBlueStigPosted 5/3/2013 10:58:22 PM
josh924 posted...
Forza 3 and 4 did it, but like with Halo 4, the second disc was basically treated like free DLC. It'd be nice to have either the option of installing the other discs if you have an HDD or playing from the discs if you don't have an HDD.

Forza 4 disc 2 was not "treated as DLC" at all, if you didn't install that disc the game would crash when you tried to access that content. Same with the free Viper DLC, without it the game crashes if you go to AutoVista mode and highlight it.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#33SolisPosted 5/4/2013 12:21:58 AM
In short, no. Microsoft policy seems to require that installed data from additional discs cannot be mandatory game content. If it isn't secondary/bonus content (such as texture or DLC packs), you need that specific disc in the drive to access it.

Battlefield 3 utilized both qualities though: you could install the texture pack from the one disc and it would be accessible by both (since it was non-mandatory data), but you could still only access the specific multiplayer or singleplayer content when the associated disc was in the drive. You couldn't install the multiplayer data and play it from the singleplayer disc, or vice versa. If it's mandatory content that's already accessible from one disc, then it can't be installed and used by another disc.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#34HeliosAscensionPosted 5/4/2013 11:35:19 AM(edited)
scythecam posted...
Super Creatures posted...
Rockstar basically did it with the GoD versions of L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3 (you download the first disc, and then the required data from the additional discs are separate downloads downloaded from the in-game menu).

noire complete doesnt work like that.

even if you install all 4 disks, you still have to change disk, which is silly considering its a 26gb total install

boldilocks

---
I don't need games to be mature.I need them to entertain me.And sometimes what entertains me is a couple chicks with huge bouncing chests pummeling each other.