This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come Gears revolutionized the industry when it should've been Kill.Switch?

#1HaloODSTDPosted 5/3/2013 2:00:56 PM
#givecreditwherecreditisdue
#realtalk
#dealwithit
#ihateitwhenpplusehashtagsonfacebook
---
XBL: Jessica Jung xo
ASUS K55N I 1.9 GHz AMD A-Series Quad-Core A8 I 4 GB DDR3 I 500GB HDD I ATI HD 7640G
#2TrickyPonyPosted 5/3/2013 2:06:17 PM
Because Gears was fun?

Also, HaloODST topic....
#3NeVaRmoorePosted 5/3/2013 2:10:38 PM
Because you're lame.
#4BingSanpaoPosted 5/3/2013 2:13:09 PM
Politics and xenophobia.
#5glassghost0Posted 5/3/2013 2:17:42 PM
NeVaRmoore posted...
Because you're lame.

---
No Thanks
#6SixStringHeroPosted 5/3/2013 2:43:02 PM
Developers do not look to Killswitch and Winback for innovation in their cover based TPS games.

Gears set the standard for cover based TPS mechanics.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#7AnonymousFriendPosted 5/3/2013 2:46:01 PM
It's not always about doing it first, but doing it well and being memorable while doing it. Michael Jackson didn't invent the move that is known as the moonwalker.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
#8HeliosAscensionPosted 5/3/2013 2:46:45 PM
Because kill.switch was not a flagship title being pushed to the moon by its creators? It wasn't made by the people who also were responsible for the biggest game engine of the generation.
---
I don't need games to be mature.I need them to entertain me.And sometimes what entertains me is a couple chicks with huge bouncing chests pummeling each other.
#9LanternOfAshPosted 5/3/2013 2:48:45 PM
Because no one played KillSwitch. It's hard to revolutionize when only a handful of people see it.
---
Look, Mama! I'm on GameFAQs!
#10SheepinatorPosted 5/3/2013 3:04:38 PM
I played Kill.Switch when it came out. Good game. Cliff B does credit them for the inspiration:

Bleszinski said the seeds of Gears of War were sown by three titles. The first was Capcom's Resident Evil 4, which made an indelible impression on Bleszinski even before its January 2005 release. "I really liked the pacing and the over-the-shoulder view," said the designer.

The second game was Namco's 2004 shooter kill.switch. Though it had much less success critically or financially than Resident Evil 4, Bleszinski felt "it had the best cover system at that time." He felt that incorporating a similar cover system would really change the pace of Gears and set it apart from other shooters.

Another inspiration was the classic arcade game Bionic Commando. In it, players must shoot a grappling hook to ascend from platform to platform vertically. Bleszinski thinks Gears has the same mechanic--jumping from cover point to cover point to advance--on a horizontal axis.

http://www.gamespot.com//news/gdc-07-cliffy-b-disassembles-gears-mentions-sequel-6167213
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.