This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to start X-COM today - what should I expect?

#1pothocketPosted 5/4/2013 11:00:02 AM
I hear it's good. I remember a lot of people throwing GotY its way.

I played the first version on the PC back when it was new and it's one of my favorite childhood games. My main tactic was breaking the remote control rocket launcher weapon. Basically just make a hole in the wall and then blind fire multiple rockets into the building/spaceship until I was I was sure anything in there was either dead or seriously wounded. Good times!
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2SunDevil77Posted 5/4/2013 11:00:57 AM
Expect an excellent strategy game
---
Here comes Old SunDevil77, he's a scaly man-fish. You don't know me. You don't know what I got. I got something to show you.
#3ThugETHPosted 5/4/2013 11:03:09 AM
It's that good I'd buy it again if they put it on Vita.
IOS is getting a slightly watered down port so I'm sure Vita could handle it.
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#4Dark_SpiretPosted 5/4/2013 11:06:40 AM
great strategy game with a lot of addictive mechanics. Enjoy!

also get those satellites up ASAP!
---
Currently playing: Kotor 2 - Red Faction: Armageddon - Sacred 2
#5pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 11:10:38 AM
mmmm....if there's one thing I love about a new game it's diving into addictive mechanics.
---
#6SparkItUpPosted 5/4/2013 11:11:50 AM
concentrate on getting as much satellite coverage as possible....it is the absolute key to victory.

As someone that played the original as well...I have to say, it does have its faults and some are kinda major...but you have so much fun with the game that you really don't mind them....Make sure to get the Elite Soldier Pack (it helps to color code your soldiers so you can easily switch to them when you need to do so on the battlefield) ...Also, if you get the slingshot DLC, it's a great way to get a boost on alien weapons , materials & technology...

Overall, it does a fantastic job of keeping homage to the original, but all the while making it, its own game. Do the tutorial (just to get familiar with the game, it's essentially very linear as to what you can do in it) and then restart the game so you can start in Africa (it has the best bonus and you can't start in Africa if you do the tutorial)
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#7velvet_hammerPosted 5/4/2013 11:18:25 AM(edited)
good game marred by inconsistent difficulty and random luck .. I also refuse to play this game on anything but hard ( so maybe I'm stubborn)..

Never played the original, but the game is very random with luck and inconsistent difficulty.. It can get very very annoying, also dont expect to beat this the first 2 times you play.. especially if you start on hard..

I had to take a break from it after I wore my self out with reloading saves and even restarting the game ( funny some parts are to easy ).. your first game just try to learn and EXPERIMENT your going to restart anyways trust me.. anyways I went back to it down the road and enjoyed it even more, but watch out for random luck and bs..

:)
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#8pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 12:59:25 PM
I'm not worried about random luck. In fact, I prefer it. What I hate are games that are static - the same every single time. Because then I'm just learning the level and meta-gaming to beat a level rather than actually being good at the game.

I enjoy being good at the mechanics, not memorizing where the enemies spawn at or whatever.
---
#9SunDevil77Posted 5/4/2013 1:01:41 PM
pothocket posted...
I'm not worried about random luck. In fact, I prefer it. What I hate are games that are static - the same every single time. Because then I'm just learning the level and meta-gaming to beat a level rather than actually being good at the game.

I enjoy being good at the mechanics, not memorizing where the enemies spawn at or whatever.

Hey pothocket, do you play Starcraft 2?
---
Here comes Old SunDevil77, he's a scaly man-fish. You don't know me. You don't know what I got. I got something to show you.
#10popping4itPosted 5/4/2013 1:02:25 PM
boredem
---
whens mahvel?