This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to start X-COM today - what should I expect?

#11bossk5Posted 5/4/2013 1:04:57 PM
Expect a great game.
---
I buy used games. If you're a MGS fanboy and want to argue....don't bother, I assure you your opinions mean nothing to me. Just a heads up.
#12pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 1:05:49 PM
SunDevil77 posted...
pothocket posted...
I'm not worried about random luck. In fact, I prefer it. What I hate are games that are static - the same every single time. Because then I'm just learning the level and meta-gaming to beat a level rather than actually being good at the game.

I enjoy being good at the mechanics, not memorizing where the enemies spawn at or whatever.

Hey pothocket, do you play Starcraft 2?

Nope. That's real time, isn't it? I prefer turn based or something like Freedom Force and FTL that allows me to pause and issue commands.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#13Link43130Posted 5/4/2013 1:07:59 PM
dont savescum when dudes die. even if your not playing it on iron man and have the option, just don't do it.

also don't try to savescum individual shots, the games saves the rng seed. so if a shot misses and you load a save and take the shot again, it'll still miss
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: Link43130
#14Killah PriestPosted 5/4/2013 1:08:24 PM
I'm not worried about random luck.

its not that the game isn't static... its that sometimes the enemies kinda cheat, but if you played the old games you know this already.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#15TrugamerPosted 5/4/2013 1:12:12 PM
Just a tip I over looked when i did my first play through.
When you unlock the stun gun use it as much as you can when possible to get the research projects and build up your weapon cache so you don't have to buy as much equipment out of your funds.
#16pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 1:16:23 PM
Link43130 posted...
dont savescum when dudes die. even if your not playing it on iron man and have the option, just don't do it.

I should be alright. I've played quite a bit of Blood Bowl so I'm kinda used to having a sequence of terrible things happen that can't be undone.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#17velvet_hammerPosted 5/4/2013 1:18:02 PM
Killah Priest posted...

its not that the game isn't static... its that sometimes the enemies kinda cheat, but if you played the old games you know this already.

or those 90+% accuracy shots that seem more like 60%.. with the enemy NOT having a red shield sign ( means full cover )
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#18SunDevil77Posted 5/4/2013 1:22:40 PM
pothocket posted...
SunDevil77 posted...
pothocket posted...
I'm not worried about random luck. In fact, I prefer it. What I hate are games that are static - the same every single time. Because then I'm just learning the level and meta-gaming to beat a level rather than actually being good at the game.

I enjoy being good at the mechanics, not memorizing where the enemies spawn at or whatever.

Hey pothocket, do you play Starcraft 2?

Nope. That's real time, isn't it? I prefer turn based or something like Freedom Force and FTL that allows me to pause and issue commands.

Awh...well if you ever grab a copy, I'd gladly challenge ya
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#19Link43130Posted 5/4/2013 1:26:43 PM
velvet_hammer posted...
Killah Priest posted...

or those 90+% accuracy shots that seem more like 60%.. with the enemy NOT having a red shield sign ( means full cover )

on normal mode the game cheats and will help you hit if you've missed multiple shots in a row, and will hinder the enemies if they've hit you multiple times in a row without being successfully hit back.

at least i remember someone reading the code in the pc version finding something about that.
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: Link43130
#20HighOnPhazonPosted 5/4/2013 1:32:02 PM
Great game but any difficulty over normal is downright luck based.
---
GT: AncientToaster
Speak of the devil...and he shall appear