This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to start X-COM today - what should I expect?

#21velvet_hammerPosted 5/4/2013 1:32:24 PM
Link43130 posted...
velvet_hammer posted...
Killah Priest posted...
I'm not worried about random luck.

its not that the game isn't static... its that sometimes the enemies kinda cheat, but if you played the old games you know this already.

or those 90+% accuracy shots that seem more like 60%.. with the enemy NOT having a red shield sign ( means full cover )

on normal mode the game cheats and will help you hit if you've missed multiple shots in a row, and will hinder the enemies if they've hit you multiple times in a row without being successfully hit back.

at least i remember someone reading the code in the pc version finding something about that.

normal mode is for wimps, and this game has almost pushed me there a few times :)
---
"My style is welfare, half of you b****** is on it!!
Was born with a halo, when broke, I had to pawn it" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVPXpGohII
#22YodaCrackersPosted 5/4/2013 2:28:27 PM
Frustration
---
http://bit.ly/1175lIT
Grand Theft Auto V is the train, Saints Row IV is the bus
#23squidney2k1Posted 5/4/2013 5:26:09 PM
Expect to lose at times.

It happens, and that's the point of the game. Outclassed and outmatched, you can't save everyone (I.e. countries WILL withdraw).
---
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.
#24CrimsonStryke28Posted 5/4/2013 5:37:36 PM
Enjoy one of the greatest game of 2012, it's pretty damn good if you enjoy this type of game. Sadly I've never played any of the old Xcom although I have seen a friend played it before but this one is pretty good, enjoy it while it last TC.
#25green_aboboPosted 5/4/2013 10:21:12 PM
expect to reload your game very often.
#26MR_SorenPosted 5/5/2013 5:08:32 AM
Expect a great strategy game that will keep dumping crap on you to force a lot of tough decisions.

Normal is made to be won. It cheats in your favor and basically makes base management a non-issue. A good learning tool, but Classic ironman is where the game really shines.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
Blog: http://www.red-grenade.com
#27Private_NoobPosted 5/5/2013 8:20:07 AM
SunDevil77 posted...
Expect an excellent strategy game

---
Arceus: "It's time to bring Humanity to JUSTICE!"
Haggard: "Oh yeah? Says YOU and what army?"
#28Deathx113Posted 5/5/2013 8:32:35 AM
pothocket posted...
I'm not worried about random luck. In fact, I prefer it. What I hate are games that are static - the same every single time. Because then I'm just learning the level and meta-gaming to beat a level rather than actually being good at the game.

I enjoy being good at the mechanics, not memorizing where the enemies spawn at or whatever.

How does luck = good?

Not that xcom isn't filled with a crap load of strategy and a good player will ALWAYS come out on top. But you make it sound like random luck is more skill based than actually becoming skilled at something, lol.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#29saintsfanPosted 5/5/2013 8:51:08 AM
There's no luck involved. It's all about optimizing your chances. The more 90% shots you can produce and the fewer 90% shots you give them the better.

Move your squad together. Don't rush into the fog of war. Only sprint if its safe or tactically necessary. Snipers with the best rifles and the Double Tap skill are absolutely lethal if use correctly. I have one guy that's been on over 50 missions and has nearly 3 kills per mission.

Save your sattelites and deploy them so they go up right before the end of the month. It allows you to best keep countries in the council.
#30Deathx113Posted 5/5/2013 9:43:27 AM
saintsfan posted...
There's no luck involved. It's all about optimizing your chances. The more 90% shots you can produce and the fewer 90% shots you give them the better.

Move your squad together. Don't rush into the fog of war. Only sprint if its safe or tactically necessary. Snipers with the best rifles and the Double Tap skill are absolutely lethal if use correctly. I have one guy that's been on over 50 missions and has nearly 3 kills per mission.

Save your sattelites and deploy them so they go up right before the end of the month. It allows you to best keep countries in the council.

... what?

There is luck, you're just being a fanboy if you don't admit it. :/

I personally thought Xcom was one of the best games I played this year, but to say it isn't at least partly luck based is pure bull. The game is based around random number generators, lol.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113