This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Going to start X-COM today - what should I expect?

#31darkharePosted 5/5/2013 9:27:02 AM
Deathx113 posted...
saintsfan posted...
There's no luck involved. It's all about optimizing your chances. The more 90% shots you can produce and the fewer 90% shots you give them the better.

Move your squad together. Don't rush into the fog of war. Only sprint if its safe or tactically necessary. Snipers with the best rifles and the Double Tap skill are absolutely lethal if use correctly. I have one guy that's been on over 50 missions and has nearly 3 kills per mission.

Save your sattelites and deploy them so they go up right before the end of the month. It allows you to best keep countries in the council.

... what?

There is luck, you're just being a fanboy if you don't admit it. :/

I personally thought Xcom was one of the best games I played this year, but to say it isn't at least partly luck based is pure bull. The game is based around random number generators, lol.

luck is just random with no rhym or reason, optimizing your chances means playing the odds in your favor. both are the same thing, luck is just what its called when a person is to damn stupid to know how to play the odds. this game isnt luck based, its knowing how to stack the odds in your favor.

---
I grow drums, rattles, didgeridoos and drone flutes. if intrested send pm.
#32saintsfanPosted 5/5/2013 10:46:11 AM
Deathx113 posted...
saintsfan posted...
There's no luck involved. It's all about optimizing your chances. The more 90% shots you can produce and the fewer 90% shots you give them the better.

Move your squad together. Don't rush into the fog of war. Only sprint if its safe or tactically necessary. Snipers with the best rifles and the Double Tap skill are absolutely lethal if use correctly. I have one guy that's been on over 50 missions and has nearly 3 kills per mission.

Save your sattelites and deploy them so they go up right before the end of the month. It allows you to best keep countries in the council.

... what?

I personally thought Xcom was one of the best games I played this year, but to say it isn't at least partly luck based is pure bull. The game is based around random number generators, lol.

And that's not luck...that's probability. I'm not lucky because I hit a lot of shots. I'm hitting a lot of shots because I put myself into a situation to do so. Yes, I might miss a 90% shot but that's not unlucky. There was still a chance of missing...but 9 times out of 10 I'm going to hit it.

Analyzing your options and formulating the most efficient or safest way to do something isn't luck.
#33Deathx113Posted 5/5/2013 11:18:06 AM
darkhare posted...
Deathx113 posted...
saintsfan posted...

... what?

luck is just random with no rhym or reason, optimizing your chances means playing the odds in your favor. both are the same thing, luck is just what its called when a person is to damn stupid to know how to play the odds. this game isnt luck based, its knowing how to stack the odds in your favor.

I'm dealing with...

It is luck.

You take a damn CHANCE at hitting an enemy. I don't care if you optimize you are still more LUCKY. You are still relying on LUCK.
---
Name: Ernest (Yes, I've been to camp)
Add me, GT/PSN: Deathx113
#34Deathx113Posted 5/5/2013 11:21:48 AM
saintsfan posted...
Deathx113 posted...
saintsfan posted...

... what?

And that's not luck...that's probability. I'm not lucky because I hit a lot of shots. I'm hitting a lot of shots because I put myself into a situation to do so. Yes, I might miss a 90% shot but that's not unlucky. There was still a chance of missing...but 9 times out of 10 I'm going to hit it.

Analyzing your options and formulating the most efficient or safest way to do something isn't luck.

Luck: Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions

Missing 5 90% shots in a row is the basic definition of unlucky.

The game is luck based. You can help yourself get better CHANCES at hitting an enemy, but in the end you are still relying on random chance to hit the enemy, not your own aiming.
---
#35saintsfanPosted 5/5/2013 11:42:14 AM
Success or failure is brought on by my actions...which the definition clearly states isn't luck.

The game is a tactics based game. Not a luck based game.
#36Deathx113Posted 5/5/2013 11:43:38 AM
saintsfan posted...
Success or failure is brought on by my actions...which the definition clearly states isn't luck.

The game is a tactics based game. Not a luck based game.

You're missing the point entirely.

YOU aren't doing a darn thing to determine if your attack is going to hit or not.

The game decides for you, regardless of what you do.
---
#37saintsfanPosted 5/5/2013 12:30:31 PM
That's not true at all. Everything from the equipment and people I bring to the way I've positioned determines whether the shot hits or not.
#38saintsfanPosted 5/5/2013 12:31:05 PM
Again, none of this is luck...it's all statistics and probability.
#39Deathx113Posted 5/5/2013 12:36:50 PM
saintsfan posted...
That's not true at all. Everything from the equipment and people I bring to the way I've positioned determines whether the shot hits or not.

Nope, not at all.

The game rolls a dice, literally, and decides if you hit or not.

You don't seem to understand what luck is.
---
#40saintsfanPosted 5/5/2013 1:43:43 PM
You don't understand what probability is.

That's not luck based at all.

And you also don't understand how the game works either. It creates a seed that is static throughout the map. That's why reloading to try a new shot doesn't work. There's no dice involved, just a long string of numbers that go progress through as the game makes checks against your actions.