This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How long should you wait before playing Xbox on a new TV?

#1WWEisLifePosted 5/4/2013 2:31:50 PM
Getting a new 65 inch TV this Wednesday, and I heard somewhere that the TV needs somewhere around 100 hours to adjust before playing video games on it?

Is this true or just a myth or exaggeration? I would like to start Xboxing almost immediately after getting it, but wouldn't mind waiting a day or two. 100 hours seems a little much though...

Does anyone have prior experience with this kind of situation? Would appreciate any advice or tips
#2SunDevil77Posted 5/4/2013 2:33:14 PM
I have never heard this...the first thing I did on my new 80' was play a video game.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#3TheBlueStigPosted 5/4/2013 2:47:31 PM
I would say it's a myth, there is no "adjustment period" for LCD or LED or plasma TV's.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#4Killah PriestPosted 5/4/2013 2:50:33 PM
its one of those plasma things that you either swear by or you don't

break in period where they recommend viewing full screen content with no static images for around 100 hours. Supposed to help with image retention.

Its also a calibration thing and you have slides supplied on avsforums with recommended settings based on running those slides for X amount of hours.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#5OverburdenedPosted 5/4/2013 3:15:25 PM
When I got my new 42inch plasma, first thing I did... Xbox.
---
Crappy spelling due to my iPod.
I..am..Kolos, the great Leviathan._
#6SnoosyPosted 5/4/2013 3:20:27 PM
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. TVs are meant to display video, it doesn't matter what the video source is.
---
Is a hippopotamus really a hippopotamus or just a really cool opotamus?
#7PensatoPosted 5/4/2013 3:33:54 PM
Snoosy posted...
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. TVs are meant to display video, it doesn't matter what the video source is.

Saying it's the stupidest thing you've ever heard shows your ignorance. The newer the cells in a Plasma screen, the higher the chance of image retention. The 100 hour mark is the general accepted measurement where Plasma cells will be less likely to have image retention then if they have only been used for a few hours. Of course there's no guarantee one way or another.
#8JKSonicPosted 5/4/2013 3:38:50 PM
Lots of people swear by the break in for plasmas. Only takes a few minutes to prep and then do so why not, won't hurt anything. You can just run the break in images off a USB drive and let it go for a while.
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#9Dragon NexusPosted 5/4/2013 3:40:08 PM
Thing is, the TV channels I tend to watch all have static images., whether it's the solid bar at the bottom that scrolls news or a logo in the corner.

I think the only way I could break a TV in is to only play movies, and make sure I don't linger on the menu.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#10IvanKozlovPosted 5/4/2013 3:46:11 PM
Well, Black Ops 2's killstreaks are burnt into my Panasonic plasma that I have had for less than a year, so take that for what you will. Luckily I got a warranty.
---
LIGHT UP THE NIGHT!