This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Disc tray doesn't read discs

#1UozzorPosted 5/4/2013 5:31:47 PM
Recently my Xbox 360 (Pro model from 2008) has had problems reading discs. I often had to spend 5 minutes opening/closing the disc tray until it would finally read the disc. This morning I played Skyrim for awhile and then it just stopped reading discs. I've tried various games and DVDs so it's a problem with the hardware. If it matters, the disc tray also used to get stuck in the console if there was no disc on it, but today I noticed that it opens and closes properly. Is there any easy DIY fix for this or will I have to get it repaired?
#2Allaster111Posted 5/4/2013 5:37:58 PM
Did you try the usual trick of blasting compressed air into the tray? Maybe it's just dust accumulation on the laser lens. It's a long shot, but it might work.
#3Uozzor(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 5:58:15 PM
Allaster111 posted...
Did you try the usual trick of blasting compressed air into the tray? Maybe it's just dust accumulation on the laser lens. It's a long shot, but it might work.

There's a ton of dust in my Xbox, so that might be it. I'll see if I can do that. Thanks!
#4pothocketPosted 5/4/2013 6:07:10 PM
You have OTS (open tray syndrome). There is no cure. Sorry.

I've had two 360s fall victim to OTS and it's always sad watching them struggle more and more to start a game and then....nothing.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#5PStrifePosted 5/4/2013 6:43:08 PM
I always use a CD/DVD drive disc cleaner for my consoles, it may not get the dust out but it at least solves the problem for great lengths of time.
#6SweetTreet4UPosted 5/4/2013 6:44:28 PM
5 minutes? That's nothing.

I spend two hours to start a game on my old Gamecube, only to realize that I forgot to insert the memory card.
Yeah, that old f*** was a hopeless case.
---
LeetCheet loves Alcazar.
#7lastrockerPosted 5/4/2013 7:27:25 PM
wow, i have all the same problems. disc tray being stuck if empty, problem reading discs, spending 10-15 mins just trying to start up a game... im also on my 4th console... im really sick of this console. seems they made it as cheap as possible
#8Wizzl241Posted 5/4/2013 7:41:48 PM
There is a temporary cure: When you close the tray and the game is trying to be read, tap on top of the system where is says Xbox. You have to do it moderately hard, so use something sturdy like the grip of the controller to do it. I can't tell you what other kind of damage this can do to your system, but it worked for me for a few weeks until I got a new 360.
---
I like video games.
PSN Vita/XBL: Wizzl241
#9zyxomma100Posted 5/4/2013 9:58:28 PM
It's the second biggest hardware problem with the original 360s (first of course being RROD). I've seen reports of lots of different fixes to the problem, some temporary and some permanent:

-Blowing compressed air into the drive.
-Pushing down physically on the top of the console.
-Opening up the drive and reaffixing some magnet or something that has apparently come loose (dunno about this).
-Replacing the drive.
-Tons of other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

I got the problem myself a long time ago. I just dealt with it, even though sometimes it would take 20-30 (or more) times to read a disc. After about a month or two, the problem magically fixed itself. No, really. One day, my disc tray decided it wanted to start working the first time, every time. That was over two years ago, and I haven't had a problem since. I haven't heard of anyone else having the same experience, though.
#10lastrockerPosted 5/4/2013 10:14:10 PM
thanks for the positive reaffirmation. i was getting scared mine wine die real soon after reading what the others posted. ive since looked it up on youtube and have watched several videos to open the console and fix it yourself with several different methods. all of them seem pretty easy, so chances are, if worse comes to worse i'll end up trying them out.. seems to have helped lots of others. i may have an older broken console lying around i could test it out on.