This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Xbox create murderers: throat slashing blamed on GOW!

#21rajin_donutsPosted 5/5/2013 4:42:06 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
The link between aggression and video games has been proven in studies but no concrete link between someone killing because of video games can be proven.

No it hasn't.
At best they've determined that asking people "Do you feel more aggressive?" after they've played something violent tends to get a "Yes" answer. And then they fail to monitor when the agression goes away, it's usually within 15 minutes.

Generally these studies, whether it's into video games or whatever, asks the subject to do something violent out of context and ask if they feel violent. It's a completely self completing hypothesis and utterly unscientific, which is why they use vague words like "a link has been found". It's all correlation without causation and "Well it stands to reason."

It's the same as cigarettes are to cancer, most people agree cigarettes cause cancer but they can't link it 100%.

Actually yes they can, they've discovered which chemicals do what to which genome that can trigger cancer.

Everyone is different, and a person who already has issues with aggression and impulse control can be pushed over the edge by playing video games where in the past they may have fought a bit but probably wouldn't have climbed over the ledge into full on murder.

Yeah, just like the guy who assassinated John Lennon was driven to do it by the book The Catcher in the Rye.
You can never predict what the trigger will be and murderous psychopaths often need very little excuse. He could have bought a carton of orange juice and murder the cashier for selling him juice past its sell by date. Best ban orange juice then because it caused his murderous rampage!

You seem familiar with the literature on video games and aggression. What are the main studies you could direct us to read that inform your position above? Just curious.
#22mrhappyguy12345Posted 5/5/2013 4:53:29 PM
rajin_donuts posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
The link between aggression and video games has been proven in studies but no concrete link between someone killing because of video games can be proven.

No it hasn't.
At best they've determined that asking people "Do you feel more aggressive?" after they've played something violent tends to get a "Yes" answer. And then they fail to monitor when the agression goes away, it's usually within 15 minutes.

Generally these studies, whether it's into video games or whatever, asks the subject to do something violent out of context and ask if they feel violent. It's a completely self completing hypothesis and utterly unscientific, which is why they use vague words like "a link has been found". It's all correlation without causation and "Well it stands to reason."

It's the same as cigarettes are to cancer, most people agree cigarettes cause cancer but they can't link it 100%.

Actually yes they can, they've discovered which chemicals do what to which genome that can trigger cancer.

Everyone is different, and a person who already has issues with aggression and impulse control can be pushed over the edge by playing video games where in the past they may have fought a bit but probably wouldn't have climbed over the ledge into full on murder.

Yeah, just like the guy who assassinated John Lennon was driven to do it by the book The Catcher in the Rye.
You can never predict what the trigger will be and murderous psychopaths often need very little excuse. He could have bought a carton of orange juice and murder the cashier for selling him juice past its sell by date. Best ban orange juice then because it caused his murderous rampage!

You seem familiar with the literature on video games and aggression. What are the main studies you could direct us to read that inform your position above? Just curious.

Google.
---
I love video games : )
#23Frost_LASERPosted 5/5/2013 5:09:08 PM
There seems to be a lot of compounded mental issues going on nowadays. Gonna have to borrow my sisters university psychology books.
#24TheBlueStigPosted 5/5/2013 5:16:46 PM
Every single time a game is blamed for a death, it's a scumbag defense lawyer that's "trying the case in the court of public opinion" so he can pollute the jury pool as much as possible so he can get the defendant off on a technicality of some kind.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#25rajin_donutsPosted 5/5/2013 5:17:54 PM
Sigh! mrhappyguy12345, I did not ask him how to find the studies. I asked him what studies are informing the position he is taking.
#26GeassMasterPosted 5/5/2013 5:18:30 PM
It's not hard to see how XBL facilitates violence and other crimes. If you have played on XBL before, it's filled with some of the worst vermin in the world. It's crazy because you would expect a paid online service to have more sophisticated and nice to play with people.

It's more like a ghetto that you have to pay to get into. Kids who curse because it's cool, people who insult others because they find it funny, tons of stuff like that.
---
Now Playing: FotNS: Ken's Rage 2,Battlefield 3(PC), Atelier Totori+ , Ninja Gaiden Sigma+, Drakengard,Sengoku Basara HD Collection
I Have A Huge Backlog.
#27mrhappyguy12345Posted 5/5/2013 5:23:38 PM
rajin_donuts posted...
Sigh! mrhappyguy12345, I did not ask him how to find the studies. I asked him what studies are informing the position he is taking.

I wasn't trying to be rude, sorry. But there are a few major studies that should pop up quickly in Google.
---
I love video games : )
#28TheBlueStigPosted 5/5/2013 5:41:03 PM
rajin_donuts posted...

The Supreme Court case that decided all this crap years ago, that games do NOT create killers, the same case that every single media outlet IGNORES in favor of their obvious leftist political agenda.

The media is also conveniently ignoring the fact that most of these cases have been people on prescription psych drugs that either failed to take their daily dose, or took too much of it, or too little of it.

Every mass shooter so far has a direct link to prescrption meds, but the media ignores that link because those same meds are advertised on their stations every single day. Advertisers control content, it's been that way for decades in ALL forms of media.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#29PutHaggarInSFPosted 5/5/2013 5:49:05 PM
Only in Ameri..

Oh.
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#30sonicteam2k1Posted 5/5/2013 7:01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ToBUdRtes

/topic
---
See The Game Collection