This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Xbox create murderers: throat slashing blamed on GOW!

#31FoppePosted 5/5/2013 9:30:10 PM
PutHaggarInSF posted...
Only in Ameri..

Oh.

If a gun is involved, then it's a 98% chance of being USA.
If it's some other kind of weapon, then it's a 90% chance of being USA.
Anyway, Scotland and knives goes hand in hand, we have records of Scottish Knife Fighting (it's a combination of a dance and knife training) since before 1900.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#32Frost_LASERPosted 5/5/2013 9:55:39 PM(edited)
TheBlueStig posted...
rajin_donuts posted...
Sigh! mrhappyguy12345, I did not ask him how to find the studies. I asked him what studies are informing the position he is taking.

The Supreme Court case that decided all this crap years ago, that games do NOT create killers, the same case that every single media outlet IGNORES in favor of their obvious leftist political agenda.

The media is also conveniently ignoring the fact that most of these cases have been people on prescription psych drugs that either failed to take their daily dose, or took too much of it, or too little of it.

Every mass shooter so far has a direct link to prescrption meds, but the media ignores that link because those same meds are advertised on their stations every single day. Advertisers control content, it's been that way for decades in ALL forms of media.

Yes, the problem is that many antipsychotic medications take quite a while to become effective and require good patient compliance. Many of the really violent/aggressive patients refuse the meds. It is very hard for a doctor to prescribe individuals these meds as its all basically trial and error, the patient becomes distressed or agitated and gives up. Illegal drug abuse compounds these problems as well due to their effect on certain serotonin receptors and other receptor sites in the brain.

Proper parenting also goes a long way in the case of this child as well. He's 14 years old, not even old enough to take of himself in the world, much less his own child. I think we'll be seeing people inherit more of these problems from their parents as time progresses.
#33KakkaKarrotKakePosted 5/5/2013 9:55:00 PM
Games can inspire people to do sick **** or compose something wonderful, that's what art does. I really wish the gaming industry would grow up and get rid of this mentality that people play games in a vaccum and get nothing out of them whatsoever.

With that said, this is sensationalism. This kid is messed up but he isn't a mass murder and his story isn't anywhere near common.
#34UmJammerEriPosted 5/5/2013 10:00:28 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
rajin_donuts posted...
Sigh! mrhappyguy12345, I did not ask him how to find the studies. I asked him what studies are informing the position he is taking.

The Supreme Court case that decided all this crap years ago, that games do NOT create killers, the same case that every single media outlet IGNORES in favor of their obvious leftist political agenda.

The media is also conveniently ignoring the fact that most of these cases have been people on prescription psych drugs that either failed to take their daily dose, or took too much of it, or too little of it.

Every mass shooter so far has a direct link to prescrption meds, but the media ignores that link because those same meds are advertised on their stations every single day. Advertisers control content, it's been that way for decades in ALL forms of media.

Calm down there, Alex Jones.
---
My Guitar Is In My Mind!
#35IWUPosted 5/5/2013 10:07:19 PM
bossk5 posted...
Kotaku

I'll see your "Kotaku" and raise you "the_real_one"
---
I'm not sad but I am a fanboy. That's not against the laws and if my Xbox had a **** I would **** it.. - teehee23
#36moondog84Posted 5/5/2013 10:40:52 PM
UmJammerEri posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
rajin_donuts posted...

Calm down there, Alex Jones.

haha Alex Jones!
---
Spaceballs the Signature
#37OrgeLambartPosted 5/5/2013 10:44:27 PM
Here goes a few links to different studies or the results to their studies.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~nscentral/news/06/jul/desensitized.shtml
http://phys.org/news/2010-10-violent-tv-video-games-desensitizes.html
http://www.livescience.com/11056-constant-violence-desensitize-bore-teens.html

Like I already said, you can't prove conclusively that violent video games cause people to become more violent, but plenty of information out there suggest it can desensitize people to violence which can lead a person down the path towards killing.

Desensitization, combined with more aggression = people that are generally more violent. Think about how many times you may have smashed your controller into the ground because you failed at a particular part of a game, or punched a wall or other things you wouldn't normally do when a game is involved.
#38Super CreaturesPosted 5/5/2013 11:08:30 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
but plenty of information out there suggest it can desensitize people to violence which can lead a person down the path towards killing.

You mean like reading violent comics, watching violent movies, or, hell, watching violence reported on the news can?

Why target only video games, when all forms of media can have the same effect?

OrgeLambart posted...
Desensitization, combined with more aggression = people that are generally more violent. Think about how many times you may have smashed your controller into the ground because you failed at a particular part of a game, or punched a wall or other things you wouldn't normally do when a game is involved.

And it usually goes away after 5 minutes, which is no where near long enough to rage murder someone, unless they are in the same room when those violent impulses surface.

Most people with no underlying mental illness wouldn't let the frustration of failing at a part of a video game, even multiple times, stew and fester for prolonged periods of time to the point of it driving them to brutally murder someone, or shoot a place up.

And even in those who do have an underlying mental illness that would drive them to do something like that, if it wasn't a video game that triggered it, it would most likely be something else.

Yes, there may be 1 case out of a billion where the only trigger that would ever trigger such an event is violent video games, but in the vast majority of cases, even if a game did trigger such an event, you can't say that it was just the game, or that only the game could have triggered it.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#39Cold_DreamerzPosted 5/6/2013 1:16:35 AM
I have been playing all manner of video games since 1995 and I haven't had the slightest inclination to murder or even hurt someone...

Then I got a job in retail...

Now I do. >_>

So video games don't make you want to kill other people...OTHER PEOPLE DO!!!
---
I will argue with you to the death....even if I know I'm totally 100% wrong
3DS FC: 0216-2235-5336
#40GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/6/2013 1:31:25 AM(edited)
I've seen far more violence from people in sports than I've ever seen from gamers.

@OrgeLambert: I don't smash my controllers, because I don't get that frustrated from a game, because I'm not 12.

And none of those studies are using actual violence. Half the kids online don't know what a gun actually sounds or feels like. A poor simulation isn't going to result into adaptation of the real thing.

I also find it condescending to think that you need a strong emotional response to know right from wrong. Fear and shock shouldn't guide anyone's actions. We're sentient, competent beings, not lizards.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.