This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about X-COM being a big fat cheater

#1pothocketPosted 5/6/2013 6:20:31 AM
I've only put in 3 months or so of gametime (not actual time) into the game and I'm already sick of this bull that the AI gets a free half-turn whenever I spot their units. Is there any way to ever catch the enemy off guard or do they always get this BS free move to take cover?

WTF is that? It's like an artificial mechanic to force players into following the leap-frog cover-to-cover tactic, as if the developer really really wanted the player to play that way but their casual playtesters just weren't getting it so now everyone has to have it beaten into their skull because of those idiots.

That's all a bunch of crap because the entire point of the cover-to-cover leap-frog tactic is exactly about catching the enemy off guard and being in an advantageous position. So how much sense does it make to have the AI straight up cheat every single time to deny the player that advantage? None.

It's also crap that this serves as the "spawn" for enemy units. As in they don't do anything until you trigger their free move. It's extremely common that doing something you're supposed to be doing, like flanking a known enemy position, will actually trigger a multi-enemy "spawn" that effectively counter-flanks your squad. Good job, hero!

*puts on sweater vest and lights up smoking pipe* Why, I remember back in my day, the original game had the AI going about it's business during the alien turn rather than waiting for you to show up and they didn't get no free half-turn neither. Smart use of tactical movement was rewarded with increased odds of getting the drop those alien scum. Like nature intended.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 5/6/2013 6:21:41 AM
Yeah, but it's still a great game. Enjoy the music.

I also don't like how my elite soldiers cry for their mommies.
---
You know, whenever a poster uses the terms "b**** and whine" or "piss and moan" or something similar, I simply ignore the entire post.
#3En Sabah NurPosted 5/6/2013 6:45:29 AM
I don't mind that mechanic at all. I get it.

What I do mind is the game pre-calculating all actions based on turn order so that a 99% hit chance will always miss if the game has decided it'll miss (and then to overcome that you have to switch up the turn order of your soldiers).
---
Playing - SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, Secret World, Marvel Heroes Beta, Injustice, Metal Gear Rising, Spec Ops, Darksiders 2, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Hitman Absolution
#4RockguyKevPosted 5/6/2013 6:48:49 AM
Uh, use the scout with double movement?

Use the scout with sensors?
#5AWarAmp84Posted 5/6/2013 7:05:33 AM
It's a known fact that XCOM isn't for everyone. Kinda like Dark Souls. I personally love XCOM but it does have a bit of a learning curve. Hey TC, have you tried Black Ops 2 yet? I hear it's pretty to pick up and play.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Gamefaqs mods are a joke.
#6pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 7:10:18 AM
AWarAmp84 posted...
It's a known fact that XCOM isn't for everyone. Kinda like Dark Souls. I personally love XCOM but it does have a bit of a learning curve. Hey TC, have you tried Black Ops 2 yet? I hear it's pretty to pick up and play.

LOL, what about my original post leads you to believe this game is going over my head? And WTF is with the attitude? Are you some kind of hardcore elitist?

If you can't handle someone pointing out a flaw in your game you probably should just avoid posting.
---
#7darkharePosted 5/6/2013 7:16:16 AM(edited)
RockguyKev posted...

^this, the reason op is being seen by the enemy is because hes moving within their viewing radius..the above units can see the enemy without the enemy seeing them.

pothocket posted...
AWarAmp84 posted...

LOL, what about my original post leads you to believe this game is going over my head? And WTF is with the attitude? Are you some kind of hardcore elitist?

If you can't handle someone pointing out a flaw in your game you probably should just avoid posting.

its not a flaw in the game, its a flaw in your logic. their are units that can see further than others.

---
I grow drums, rattles, didgeridoos and drone flutes. if intrested send pm.
#8pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 7:15:54 AM
darkhare posted...
RockguyKev posted...

^this, the reason op is being seen by the enemy is because hes moving within their viewing radius..the above units can see the enemy without the enemy seeing them.

This is why the very first question I asked is if the enemy always gets that free move or if it's possible to get the drop on them. So yes or no, is it possible to get within killing range without triggering the enemy's free movement?
---
#9darkharePosted 5/6/2013 7:18:05 AM
pothocket posted...
darkhare posted...
RockguyKev posted...

This is why the very first question I asked is if the enemy always gets that free move or if it's possible to get the drop on them. So yes or no, is it possible to get within killing range without triggering the enemy's free movement?

yes, by using units with a greater viewing range than the enemy your trying to sneak up on.

---
I grow drums, rattles, didgeridoos and drone flutes. if intrested send pm.
#10YEMbotPosted 5/6/2013 10:49:51 AM
AWarAmp84 posted...

Way to be a jerk, dude. I'll bet the kids at your local gamestop really look up to you.
---
"First come smiles, then lies. Last comes gunfire." -Roland Deschain, of Gilead
Vita is awesome, and 3DS is sweet. Fanboys always gotta be hatin'...