This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It blows my mind that they never release any big titles in the summertime

#1BBBanks03Posted 5/7/2013 12:47:11 PM
If I ever even got the opportunity to speak with someone in the industry about this, I feel like the conversation would go exactly like this:

Me: “Why don’t you guys ever release any games during Summer?”
Publisher: “Because games don’t sell during Summer.”
Me: “…but you’ve never released any big games during Summer.”
Publisher: “Because they don’t sell.”
Me: “….? B-bu… -- If you’ve never released any AAA games during the Summer, how would you know whether they sell well or not?”
Publisher: [blank stare]…. “Because games don’t sell well during the Summer.”
Me: [Sigh…]

It just makes no sense to me that the industry seems to have gotten this idea in their head that if they were to release a huge game during the summer, rather than cramming it in October/November along with 50 other games, that it wouldn’t CRUSH everything in sales because there’s literally no competition. Kids are out of school, people take time off of work, teens and students are often working summer jobs so they have an abundance of cash, there’s nothing like Christmas/Black Friday where people are emptying their wallets like crazy. I mean, the movie industry has figured this out, why hasn’t the games industry? It seems to me like all they’re waiting on is for one publisher to take the plunge and release a huge title in the summer wasteland, and watch it burn up big numbers, and then the entire industry will follow suit right afterwards.

I just don’t know what they’re waiting for. The first game or publisher that figures this out is going to make some serious coin.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#2SparkItUpPosted 5/7/2013 12:49:41 PM
State of Decay...that is all
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#3vigorm0rtisPosted 5/7/2013 12:51:54 PM
BBBanks03 posted...

Me: “….? B-bu… -- If you’ve never released any AAA games during the Summer, how would you know whether they sell well or not?”

To be fair, big games have released in the summer, they just don't anymore because traditionally, they didn't sell well. The game purchasing demographic has changed a lot in the intervening years, so it's probably time for someone to reassess the reasons they keep to the old policy.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#4BBBanks03(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 1:13:37 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
BBBanks03 posted...

To be fair, big games have released in the summer, they just don't anymore because traditionally, they didn't sell well. The game purchasing demographic has changed a lot in the intervening years, so it's probably time for someone to reassess the reasons they keep to the old policy.

I thought that too, but short of doing a bunch of research and finding out what games and when, I'm willing to bet there were quite a few reasons as to WHY they didn’t sell well (game wasn’t that good, was a redundant sequel, wasn’t marketed well, etc.). Meaning, taking those examples, I’m sure most if not all of them would have sold equally poorly any other time of the year. There really isn’t any way of knowing for sure now, of course.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#5ediotsavantPosted 5/7/2013 1:15:23 PM
For summer people rather spend their money on other stuff. Like a vacation.
---
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
#6BeastLeeAdamsPosted 5/7/2013 1:21:45 PM
It depends what you mean buy "summer." Saints Row 4, and GTA 5, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Lost Planet 3, Pikmin 3 all come out during this summer.
---
I think everyone in the gaming world weather you are a Nintendrone, Sony Pony, Xbot or part of the Master Race can agree that Pachter should be fired.
#7vigorm0rtisPosted 5/7/2013 1:24:53 PM
BBBanks03 posted...
Meaning, taking those examples, I’m sure most if not all of them would have sold equally poorly any other time of the year. There really isn’t any way of knowing for sure now, of course.

I don't know, since the biggest purchasers of games are in their early/mid 30s now, they're not relying on their parents to buy them games anymore. Then again, we don't have summers off, either, but I know I'd personally like at least one or two meaty titles to pass some time in the summer with.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#8jzoo4444Posted 5/7/2013 1:28:34 PM
Red Dead was released in May and MS releases its biggest arcade games during the summer.
#9GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/7/2013 1:30:55 PM
Summer has big releases, just not as many.

I'm no business expert, but seems like common sense that Summer is the least indoorsy time of the year.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#10pothocketPosted 5/7/2013 1:30:58 PM
BBBanks03 posted...
If I ever even got the opportunity to speak with someone in the industry about this, I feel like the conversation would go exactly like this:

Me: “Why don’t you guys ever release any games during Summer?”
Publisher: “Because games don’t sell during Summer.”
Me: “…but you’ve never released any big games during Summer.”
Publisher: “Because they don’t sell.”
Publisher: [blank stare]…. “Because games don’t sell well during the Summer.”
Me: [Sigh…]

I bet TC works in a corporate office somewhere, or has read a lot of Dilbert.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson