This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I still think Microsoft made the d-pads crappy on purpose.

#21MashYouGoodPosted 5/7/2013 9:12:32 PM
BlueFlameBat posted...
Then there are those who seem to think arcade-style controllers are the only way to play a fighting game and think very little of anyone who would rather use a traditional gamepad.

Well, the gamepad has always been my preferred method of playing almost all types of video games

That's because an arcade stick is the only way to seriously play fighting games. The genre, by its very nature, lends itself to joystick directional control as the moves they initiate need to be executed precisely and instantly- something that no D-pad can never emulate to the extent a joystick can.

It's not about 'thinking little' of someone who uses a particular control scheme universally. It's just that certain controllers are made for certain games- arcade sticks for fighters; flight sticks for flight simulators / flying games; steering wheels for racers; Wii wands for palliative care rehabilitation... and so on.
#22GuideToTheDarkPosted 5/7/2013 9:31:21 PM
That's because an arcade stick is the only way to seriously play fighting games.

No, it's not. wolfkrone, snakeeyez, vangief, fanatiq and quite a few others are all pad players, and they've all won majors or beaten longtime pros at majors.
---
Before all else you must build muscle. Then you must become hero to children everywhere.
#23BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 10:26:38 PM
Different strokes for different folks, I say. Just because something works best for you doesn't mean it's going to work best for everyone else. Take Sin & Punishment Star Successor, for instance. Other than to satisfy my curiosity for a few minutes, I'd never use any method other than the Wii remote and Nunchuck, but I met someone else who prefers the GameCube controller. This person's reason is because he/she doesn't like running out of batteries, but that's just one example.
---
"BlueFlameBat has not entered any biographical information. It's probably none of your damn business anyway." -G4TV profile
There is still no escape.
#24Dragon NexusPosted 5/11/2013 6:55:40 AM
I know it's an additional $50 for the controller, but the Razer Onza controllers make MK and Injustice so much better.

The problem with the Onza was that the D-pad was better for single button inputs, not so much for Street Fighter style circular movements. Onza's D-pad is essentially 4 buttons rather than a floating stick. Thus it's possible to press up and down simultaniously.

Works for MK since the moves are done with down, forward, A or something so you can tap the directions. SF doesn't work.

I have no idea how well their newer, supposedly fixed pad works. I liked the Onza, but I never had one that lasted more than 3 months.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#25TantrumBullPosted 5/11/2013 9:04:23 AM
Oh for a controller with a sega saturn D-pad again. :(
---
For what ever reason G_gglypuff completely forgot Ninja Gaiden Black is an Xbox game even though I told him it is and even told him I have it. >_<
#26NeoGeoXSegaPosted 5/11/2013 1:20:23 PM
You do know all of the different d-pad designs are patented and used exclusively by their owners right? (like Nintendo)

There have been many different D-Pads used on official Microsoft-produced and patented hardware (some predating the Xbox), and the original 360 D-Pad is the worst.

Yeah, the original Xbox d-pad was great.
The limited U.K. green Xbox 360 controllers supposedly had a good d-pad & the silver transforming d-pad is not too bad.

The regular d-pad on every 360 that is still being made is bad though. Why are they keeping this up, when they made re-designs to it that worked.
---
"gone are the days of creativity, and playing japanese games because you secretly wish you were japanese" -CinisterX
#27BlueFlameBat(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 4:47:19 PM
Maybe there is something about the shape of the controller that makes it harder to have the same kind of d-pad from the XBox S controller. It's a lousy excuse but it's the best I can think of right now. I don't really have much of a problem with the shape of the d-pad (and I love the shape of the XBox 360 controller), I just need not to worry about pressing a direction hard enough. If I use maximum pressure every time, my left thumb will surely blister up fast.
I may yet buy an arcade-style controller, but I want to use it because it suits me better, not because the alternative is a sucky d-pad. Analog sticks just don't work for me when it comes to games where crouching and/or jumping is done with a direction key, which is the main reason I'm not crazy about games like Yoshi's Story or the Smash Bros series.
---
"BlueFlameBat has not entered any biographical information. It's probably none of your damn business anyway." -G4TV profile
There is still no escape.
#28WinternovaPosted 5/11/2013 4:51:41 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
I would prefer that things lasted as long as possible

So would your girlfriend, but neither of you will get what you want.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#29LythirisPosted 5/11/2013 5:34:00 PM
I thought it had to do with patents being owned on certain style of d-pads, so they had to come up with their own.
---
"I figured maybe a bullet in the back. Or a knife in the back. Maybe hit by a train."
"In the back?" "In the back, yeah."
#30Keyblade4242Posted 5/11/2013 6:19:16 PM
GuideToTheDark posted...
That's because an arcade stick is the only way to seriously play fighting games.

No, it's not. wolfkrone, snakeeyez, vangief, fanatiq and quite a few others are all pad players, and they've all won majors or beaten longtime pros at majors.

Wolfkrone switched to stick.