This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I need smart people to explain something.

#1NemerlightPosted 5/8/2013 2:40:31 AM
http://kotaku.com/ea-wont-be-paying-for-real-guns-in-video-games-anymore-494940003

EA tells Reuters that, despite an intent to copy the designs and even name of famous firearms, it will no longer be paying for that privilege, believing it has a constitutional right under the tenets of free speech to use trademarks without permission.

How can you use trademarks without some kind of permission? Maybe because its so late and i cant read or maybe im just missing something here :S
---
Chivarly: Medieval Warfare is the best PC game of 2012.
#2TheGm86Posted 5/8/2013 2:55:36 AM
The want to use "Fair Use" as way of putting in real life objects without paying the makers of said things.
---
You can't grasp the true form of TheGM's post.
TheGM Adventures X: Rondo of Awesome!!!
#3BingSanpaoPosted 5/8/2013 3:16:17 AM(edited)
A report on Reuters says that following recent events like the Newtown school shooting, and the controversy over the company's relationship with arms manufacturers, Electronic Arts has made the decision to stop paying for the rights to use real weapons in its video games.

Call me cynical but I really don't see what this has to do with shootings or doing the right thing as the games would still be promoting said weapons while EA wouldn't pay for it.
#4DarkSymbiotePosted 5/8/2013 3:51:54 AM
EA tells Reuters that, despite an intent to copy the designs and even name of famous firearms, it will no longer be paying for that privilege, believing it has a constitutional right under the tenets of free speech to use trademarks without permission.

That's the stupidest thing I have heard all week. I think this can only be done for the sake of parody.
---
Liquor is powerful. But Soda is solid.
#5Dragon NexusPosted 5/8/2013 2:41:37 PM
The want to use "Fair Use" as way of putting in real life objects without paying the makers of said things.

Which in many ways would be fine, if they didn't go on to profit from the use of trademarked items.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#6TheGm86Posted 5/8/2013 2:44:58 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Which in many ways would be fine, if they didn't go on to profit from the use of trademarked items.

just remember the TV and Film industry uses the same thing when they use replicas in their productions.
---
You can't grasp the true form of TheGM's post.
TheGM Adventures X: Rondo of Awesome!!!
#7IWUPosted 5/8/2013 2:45:33 PM
Now we know why they laid off those 900 employees. They have anticipated a need to bolster their legal defense sector.
---
I'm not sad but I am a fanboy. That's not against the laws and if my Xbox had a **** I would **** it.. - teehee23
#8Dragon NexusPosted 5/8/2013 2:52:28 PM
just remember the TV and Film industry uses the same thing when they use replicas in their productions.

Perhaps they get around it by not naming the weapons or manufacturer specifically?
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#9GGearXPosted 5/8/2013 2:54:25 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

Perhaps they get around it by not naming the weapons or manufacturer specifically?

But the P90 isn't the P90 if it doesn't have 50 bullets. Wouldn't theyget sued over "llikeness" of their weapons? Dunno if there's a law for that.
---
GT: KryDamoure (The male version of Tomoko Kuroki)
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#10glassghost0Posted 5/8/2013 3:00:55 PM
I'm no gun expert but I didn't think hardly any games used the actual branded weapons or whatever anyway. I remember reading about the Arcade game Special Forces Team X or whatever it was and how it was a big deal that they got the rights to real weapons like Colt or whatever.
---
No Thanks