This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Connecting surround sound system to Xbox?

#1Rink SocPosted 5/8/2013 4:10:27 AM
So I just picked up a Sony DVD system second hand which didn't have the manual included, so I don't know if this is possible or an easy task. Any help will be appreciated.
#2MachineZedPosted 5/8/2013 5:59:50 AM
Look at the back of the unit, and see if it has an HDMI port or an Optical Audio port.

Most surround sound receivers need to be connected to the actual source, the receiver then gets connected back to the TV to get the picture to the TV.

The other way is to have everything connected to the TV and have the TV use its audio out to the receiver. But most TVs don't send the correct info for the receiver to get the correct speaker info. Which I why I advised the other option first.
#3tubb311Posted 5/8/2013 6:26:43 AM
MachineZed posted...

The other way is to have everything connected to the TV and have the TV use its audio out to the receiver. But most TVs don't send the correct info for the receiver to get the correct speaker info. Which I why I advised the other option first.

This is how i have mine hooked up. much easier than running seperate video to the tv and audio to the surround sound. i can't stand having an unorganized pile of wires behind my system.
#4Rink Soc(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2013 6:31:48 AM
Alright, so instead of using the audio inputs from from the Xbox a/v cable I use the ones from the surround sound system?
#5Hucast9Posted 5/8/2013 7:36:25 AM
Rink Soc posted...
Alright, so instead of using the audio inputs from from the Xbox a/v cable I use the ones from the surround sound system?

Do you have a home theater receiver? Home theater systems are designed so you can connect everything to it, then from there to the tv.

I don't want to disappoint you, but dvd is extinct now. The superior Blu Ray has taken over. Don't bother building up a dvd collection.
#6Rink Soc(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2013 2:33:03 PM
Hucast9 posted...
Rink Soc posted...

Do you have a home theater receiver? Home theater systems are designed so you can connect everything to it, then from there to the tv.

I don't want to disappoint you, but dvd is extinct now. The superior Blu Ray has taken over. Don't bother building up a dvd collection.

No home theater receiver and just got the system for the surround sound. The way I just set it up didn't work. Can anyone explain this in a way that if the person your telling has no idea what they're doing, cause that's me lol.
#7Rink Soc(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 2:19:20 PM
Bump
#8CapwnDPosted 5/9/2013 3:09:42 PM
Rink Soc I can get anything to work with anything!

What is the model number of your sound system? Or, if you don't know that just tell me what inputs it has.

If it's a 5.1 system, you would want to use toslink optical out from the 360. Do you have a "slim" model Xbox 360? or one of the original models? The Sim models have toslink optical output on the back of the 360. The older model will either need the dongle, or you could do the workaround (google Xbox 360 hdmi hack). I suggest the dongle, specifically the one from monoprice.com.

The other way is to have everything connected to the TV and have the TV use its audio out to the receiver.

That wont give you 5.1 surround sound, usually.
---
There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss