This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kotaku asks if one joke makes Blood Dragon homophobic (spoilers)

#51Merc123Posted 5/9/2013 1:16:33 PM
There is a whole article about that joke really? When i first played it i laughed a bit because it was just a stab at spider and Rex being a dick. Its something i would probably say to my friends if they set me up with it. I am not homophobic either, since i have a gay friend and probably would have even told the joke with him there, and he probably would have backed me up or said something too to back the joke up.

God people are just too sensitive these days and looking for any straws they can grasp at to make something out of nothing.
#52thekozmicpigPosted 5/9/2013 2:11:59 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Yeah, I hate kotaku as well...they are also the ones that called the game Dead Island: Riptide and it's Developer Deep-Silver "sexist" and "anti-women", simply because they offered a female zombie bust in a bikini in the UK & Australia (nowhere else), and then went on to interview Leftist women from the US about this (even though it wasn't being offered in the US...UK only).
Kotaku is full of **** !

BTW
Here is what the bust looks like...

http://russellbulletin.com/2013/04/24/dead-island-riptide-special-edition-includes-zombie-bust/

It was called "Zombie Bait".
That's one aspect of the argument people keep forgetting, or deliberately omitting.

It's heavilly implied that it's alluring to zombies. The "important parts", if you will, of a woman acting as bait. A skimpy bikini and thong as well.
I'm not exactly offended, but I can understand why it's sexist. And trashy.

I also knew the game would suck once this thing was revealed. If a game isn't good enough to sell by itself, what do you do? Manufacture some controversy!

I just like that a man is mad that they asked women on something that they said was anti-women.

How dare they ask them!? Only men may decide!
---
Feels like the depths of hell were unleashed upon my ass. - nivlac_rebuats
#53NinjuggalotusPosted 5/9/2013 6:11:20 PM
Didn't even click the link and knew it was Patricia Hernandez. All according to keikaku
---
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
#FreeGucci
#54BeastlyScarfPosted 5/9/2013 9:25:15 PM
Patricia Hernandez needs to get fired. I'm sick and tired of seeing her terrible articles being linked constantly.

It's always senstaionalised nonsensical drivel with her.
#55NinjuggalotusPosted 5/9/2013 10:12:23 PM
She brings hits; she's not going to get fired.
---
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
#FreeGucci
#56TheApd_ReturnsPosted 5/9/2013 10:20:25 PM
PSP_H0mebrew posted...
The article is by Patricia Hernandez, no surprise.

She is the dumbest idiotic "journalist" on the internet, also a feminist, the scourge of our society.

Women like her think just because they are female that they can publish stupid crap and that they are always right.

How she has a job is beyond me.

lol @ feminists being the scourge of society. Are they ruining your life?

Here's the thing. The stupid feminists, the ones you're presumably whining about throwing the gender card left and right, don't really have any power. The smart ones (i.e. the ones that are looking out for true equality, such as supporting women's education in Afghanistan and the like) are the ones that have the power. It's kind of pointless to cry about feminism "ruining" our society when they average "feminazi" is about as relevant as a Gamefaqs poster. This hate against feminists is largely engineered by people who want to feel like they have a bigger **** because they're railing against the "huge" issue of political correctness, which is also largely engineered, since most people are against it anyway.
#57PsychoDrama1Posted 5/9/2013 11:08:37 PM
The_Dark_Slay3r posted...
http://i.imm.io/15l9B.png

Brutal. This woman is like the "Star" magazine of video games.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#58SparkItUpPosted 5/10/2013 3:23:00 AM(edited)
Merc123 posted...
There is a whole article about that joke really? When i first played it i laughed a bit because it was just a stab at spider and Rex being a dick. Its something i would probably say to my friends if they set me up with it. I am not homophobic either, since i have a gay friend and probably would have even told the joke with him there, and he probably would have backed me up or said something too to back the joke up.

God people are just too sensitive these days and looking for any straws they can grasp at to make something out of nothing.

I think you missed the point really of the question she is asking...Why is it people find it funny as a joke to make homosexuality a negative? The fact that it seems okay to do so, is what portrays it to be homophobic...Had this been about race, people easily would have marked it down as a racist joke...but since it is about homosexuality, it is somehow okay & considered funny. She isn't making it an issue...she is simply posing the discussion as to why it is okay to make homosexual jokes, when other hate related jokes (about religion, race, etc) are generally condemned...the clear answer is that homophobia (more so hate speech & derogatory jokes & comments) is more highly tolerated.

It is very clear in the one question she asks "What does it mean, to consider a homophobic joke "harmless?"
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#59Halo_ForeverPosted 5/10/2013 4:03:08 AM
SparkItUp posted...

I think you missed the point really of the question she is asking...Why is it people find it funny as a joke to make homosexuality a negative? The fact that it seems okay to do so, is what portrays it to be homophobic...Had this been about race, people easily would have marked it down as a racist joke...but since it is about homosexuality, it is somehow okay & considered funny. She isn't making it an issue...she is simply posing the discussion as to why it is okay to make homosexual jokes, when other hate related jokes (about religion, race, etc) are generally condemned...the clear answer is that homophobia (more so hate speech & derogatory jokes & comments) is more highly tolerated.

It is very clear in the one question she asks "What does it mean, to consider a homophobic joke "harmless?"

Sometimes those jokes can be hilarious (e.g. the Warriors Orochis doubles entrendes, with the historical extra that those guys might have been gay or bi). This one was just a play on the "Men want to be him and women want to be with him"-line.

In general 80s action movie could officially be both homophobic and homoerotic at the same time (Top Gun being a fairly decent example) and seeing what Blood Dragon is parodying I wouldn't be surprised if this actually was an allusion to that. Especially after taking the headband... Or it could even be seen as a take that to the old attitude where playing the negative gay card automatically won the debate for you.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#60Arucard05Posted 5/10/2013 4:39:34 AM
other hate related jokes (about religion, race, etc) are generally condemned

I wonder if you are familiar with comedy at all.....
---
I'm not a fan of old women that are scared of their pot going cold but I still loved Deadly Premonition - HeLeeham