This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kotaku asks if one joke makes Blood Dragon homophobic (spoilers)

#61Zohar_MetatronPosted 5/10/2013 5:28:41 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Yeah, I hate kotaku as well...they are also the ones that called the game Dead Island: Riptide and it's Developer Deep-Silver "sexist" and "anti-women", simply because they offered a female zombie bust in a bikini in the UK & Australia (nowhere else), and then went on to interview Leftist women from the US about this (even though it wasn't being offered in the US...UK only).
Kotaku is full of **** !

BTW
Here is what the bust looks like...

http://russellbulletin.com/2013/04/24/dead-island-riptide-special-edition-includes-zombie-bust/

It was called "Zombie Bait".
That's one aspect of the argument people keep forgetting, or deliberately omitting.

There's also a question of context, i.e. the first game definitely had a pretty misogynist tone in places, and then they also did The Cartel, which probably devoted at least a bit of time to hating women while it wasn't being amazingly racist. I assume the response to Zombie Bait would've been lighter if it were just the one incident.

SparkItUp posted...
the clear answer is that homophobia (more so hate speech & derogatory jokes & comments) is more highly tolerated.

You are not wrong! However, the comment in this game wasn't particularly hateful or homophobic.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#62SolidKnightPosted 5/10/2013 5:31:08 AM
Does a joke indicate that you're irrationally afraid of homosexuals? If yes, how?
#63BingSanpaoPosted 5/10/2013 6:02:23 AM
Jokes can be funny or not, that's a matter of opinion but what really makes a joke inherently racist or homophobic is context and intent. Since we are deprived of both on the Internet it's about a bunch of white knights projecting their personal issues and interpretations and start whining like little b****es without respecting the freedom of speech of others. With games and movies getting worldwide releases you are bound to find something that's offensive to someone somewhere and most deal with it just fine, they just find it unfunny or childish and move on.

I'm totally ok with making a point entering fights which are worth fighting for, like for instance gay marriage but you have to pick the right battles.

You could find a news outlets mentioning God every five minutes while totally disrespecting other cultures offensive. You could find bad Asian drivers joke idiotic. Or Frogs afraid of fighting stupid. Or inbreed rednecks. There's no time to be offended in life by people that don't deserve your attention and caricatures and generalisations are simply a reflection of how the human brain works.

It doesn't even make any sense in the context of Blood Dragon which is a satire of the 80s media. Have you seen Jerry Lawler babbling on national TV in the 80s?

TD;LR
She's simply trolling for click like Bashcraft used to do a few years back, projecting her own issues by taking things out of context or simply angry because she can't cook properly.
#64Evel138Posted 5/10/2013 6:05:19 AM
Kotaku is part of the "Gawker" network. Expect nothing less than moronic, leftist BS.
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://fav.me/d5g9oo0
#65PSP_H0mebrewPosted 5/10/2013 7:19:28 AM
Hahahaha my message was moderated? really?

Keep white knighting women guys, it won't get you laid.
---
Carey Price is a terrible Goalie.
http://i.imgur.com/JGn2l.gif Montreal Canadiens Fan
#66AkaimizuPosted 5/10/2013 7:48:03 AM
This isn't even an issue. As people pointed out. A satire of the 80s is going to do some of the things the 80s did.

From a number of 80s action movies, to comedy like Blazing Saddles. Watching 80s film definitely has totally different connotations and a lot less political correctness in them. Satire, even trying to be a bit more PC, is bound to gloss on the aspect, and then get away from it as quickly as possible to concentrate more on satire that is more universally goofy or over-the-top. Sounds like what this game did. No issue there. Is it any different than perhaps what Bioshock Infinite did for early to mid 1900s America? This time, on a much much smaller scale than that game.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#67PsychoDrama1Posted 5/10/2013 7:52:14 AM
BingSanpao nailed it. I got a feeling someome told a joke one time and she got seriously offended. Now she is projecting herself as some gay movement warrior.
---
Wolf Parade, Swan Lake, Built to Spill, Sunset Rubdown, The Hold Steady, Modest Mouse, Handsome Furs, Plants and Animals
#68SparkItUpPosted 5/10/2013 10:01:53 AM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Yeah, I hate kotaku as well...they are also the ones that called the game Dead Island: Riptide and it's Developer Deep-Silver "sexist" and "anti-women", simply because they offered a female zombie bust in a bikini in the UK & Australia (nowhere else), and then went on to interview Leftist women from the US about this (even though it wasn't being offered in the US...UK only).
Kotaku is full of **** !

BTW
Here is what the bust looks like...

http://russellbulletin.com/2013/04/24/dead-island-riptide-special-edition-includes-zombie-bust/

It was called "Zombie Bait".
That's one aspect of the argument people keep forgetting, or deliberately omitting.

There's also a question of context, i.e. the first game definitely had a pretty misogynist tone in places, and then they also did The Cartel, which probably devoted at least a bit of time to hating women while it wasn't being amazingly racist. I assume the response to Zombie Bait would've been lighter if it were just the one incident.

SparkItUp posted...
the clear answer is that homophobia (more so hate speech & derogatory jokes & comments) is more highly tolerated.

You are not wrong! However, the comment in this game wasn't particularly hateful or homophobic.

I understand that...and that again is the question she is trying to get across to the readers...How is it okay for a joke like that denotes homosexuality negatively okay, yet in similar situations if it would have been about another social issue (race, religion, etc)...then it would have been condemned. What about homosexuality makes it okay to degrade?
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#69SparkItUpPosted 5/10/2013 10:11:17 AM
Arucard05 posted...
other hate related jokes (about religion, race, etc) are generally condemned

I wonder if you are familiar with comedy at all.....

again, you missed the entire point of the question....Why is there condemnation & why is it socially unacceptable to make a joke about race or religion, yet when it comes to homosexuality, it is condoned without the same light of criticism.

It's not that I am not familiar with comedy, I just understand the point she is getting across...Had a similar joke been about race or religion (used as an insult), there would have been outrage regardless of it being a joke. But since it is about homosexuality, it is accepted.

I laugh at some jokes about homosexuality, I laugh at some jokes about race & religion...but the question I should ask myself each time is...why is it okay to laugh about something that is aimed at any particular group? How is that actually funny? Would I be okay if they laughed about something that defines me (such as race, gender, religion or sexuality)?

She isn't condemning it in her article, but more so just posing questions about the social aspect of whether or not it is hate speech if tell a joke about something such as race, religion, gender or sexuality when we know that it is a statement that puts a negative spin on it and why we condone it in some situations, but not others.

She doesn't condemn the jokes...but merely is asking social minded questions. I think many are taking it as an attack on the game when it clearly is not.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#70Dragon NexusPosted 5/10/2013 11:53:42 AM

Oh they were responsible for the god awful "Kill black people" achievement, huh?
I didn't honestly know that. Just makes them all the more classy, huh.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln