This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Those of you who have massive disc-based collections are fools.

#1Nate_DihldorffPosted 5/9/2013 7:37:05 AM
Was browsing NeoGAF and came across a thread mentioning this-

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Disc-Rot/An-important-note-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

Just as a heads-up, the top layer of every disc is the part with the data. If anything is done to that layer, including small nicks, bubbles, etc., then the disc is rendered useless.

Cartridges eventually suffer from bit rot, but you can replace the components in a cartridge.
---
NCAACP- National Colored Association of Associated Colored People
#2Killah PriestPosted 5/9/2013 7:38:09 AM
Disc Rot huh? welcome to the 90s.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3mattcorley1212Posted 5/9/2013 7:39:47 AM
Oh man, thanks for the heads up!

I would have never known that the plastic didnt hold the data and that the film on top did..
I take it youve never owned or burned a cd... Welcome to 15-20 years ago bud
---
"this fit like clothes made outta wasp"
GT-K3lnk3ll
#4TheBlueStigPosted 5/9/2013 7:42:50 AM
The only fools are the ones who treat their discs so badly that they get heavily damaged.

Yes I understand that "s*** happens" sometimes, but I swear that some of you throw the damn things around the room like wannabe ninja stars or frisbees.

If you damage your stuff, IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT, not the fault of the media format.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5SunDevil77Posted 5/9/2013 7:45:03 AM
Now, wait a goddamn minute...are you saying that if we treat our possessions poorly, they will cease to function?

Preposterous. SCAMMERS.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#6mattcorley1212Posted 5/9/2013 7:45:27 AM
and disk rot was mainly a thing when cds were left out in the sun, which is a rare case now days since everyone more than likely uses some sort of MP3 player in their car..

I remember the OLD memorex blank cd-r's, white label and silver labels, cheap as could be, would last maybe a year, Ohh those were the days
---
GT-K3lnk3ll
#7Killah PriestPosted 5/9/2013 7:46:27 AM(edited)
uhh no, what he is saying is no matter how well you take care of your discs they aren't designed to last forever.
---
#8mattcorley1212Posted 5/9/2013 7:50:30 AM
False, if maintained like it should, it will last you till you will completely forget about it.. If left in a case and not exposed to the elements or handled improperly it will last you 20+ years and which in media terms that is constantly switching to something new... that my friend is forever
---
GT-K3lnk3ll
#9Mutant1988Posted 5/9/2013 7:52:00 AM
Killah Priest posted...
uhh no, what he is saying is no matter how well you take care of your discs they aren't designed to last forever.

No, really?

At least they seize to function to due to end user error or natural degradation. They don't seize to function because it's no longer profitable to maintain functionality.

So yeah, I think I'm still sticking with physical media a while longer. That said, I really want DVDs and optical media to die out soon in favour of solid state disk/read-only flash memory formats.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#10Killah PriestPosted 5/9/2013 7:53:40 AM
False, if maintained like it should, it will last you till you will completely forget about it.. If left in a case and not exposed to the elements or handled improperly it will last you 20+ years and which in media terms that is constantly switching to something new... that my friend is forever

A defect in the manufacturing can also cause disc rot, and we have tons of cheaply made discs.

seriously tho don't act like I'm here saying its a huge issue and you should be paranoid about it, but it happens even to things that are taken care of, simple as that.
---