This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Those of you who have massive disc-based collections are fools.

#11jenekiPosted 5/9/2013 8:57:29 AM
This topic brings back memories of a friend who had a huge laserdisc collection.
---
Raizing. Psikyo. Toaplan.
#12Happy_RobotPosted 5/9/2013 8:57:41 AM
I would go for downloadable games, but the games have drm, and are tied to your account. What happens if your 360 breaks, and they shut xbox live down for the old 360 like they did with the original xbox?
---
D:
#13vigorm0rtisPosted 5/9/2013 9:00:20 AM
Who's really worried about whether their discs will still function in 20 years? No 360 is going to last that long anyway.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#14Killah PriestPosted 5/9/2013 9:03:10 AM
No, really?

Did you see where I said "welcome to the 90s"
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#15TheBlueStigPosted 5/9/2013 9:08:40 AM
Mutant1988 posted...
That said, I really want DVDs and optical media to die out soon in favour of solid state disk/read-only flash memory formats.

So you want things to become 10 times more expensive than it is now?

Because it takes 3 MONTHS and 800+ steps to make solid state chips from scratch, while it only takes a few minutes to make an optical disc in whatever format you need it to be.

Physical media will ALWAYS come down to Cost-Per-Megabyte, and optical discs will always be more cost effective than solid state.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#16levyjl1988Posted 5/9/2013 9:09:25 AM
TIL. Thanks TC.
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#17Ginsu VictimPosted 5/9/2013 9:14:06 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
Who's really worried about whether their discs will still function in 20 years? No 360 is going to last that long anyway.

My Sega CD still works.
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#18vigorm0rtisPosted 5/9/2013 9:15:43 AM
Ginsu Victim posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...

My Sega CD still works.

So does my Genesis, and my PS1 and PS2. Hardware this gen was chincy. Well, I don't know about the Wii, they might still work, if anyone actually wants to use them.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#19WinternovaPosted 5/9/2013 9:15:48 AM
Mutant1988 posted...
At least they seize to function to due to end user error or natural degradation. They don't seize to function because it's no longer profitable to maintain functionality.

Cease to function.

"Seize" means to grab something suddenly and forcibly. "Cease" means to stop doing something.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#20TheBlueStigPosted 5/9/2013 9:17:16 AM
Ginsu Victim posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...

My Sega CD still works.

I still have a Commodore Vic-20 with a Cassette drive, it still works. I still have one SegaCD game left too, Mortal Kombat, not a scratch on it.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin