This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Those of you who have massive disc-based collections are fools.

#21Mutant1988Posted 5/9/2013 8:23:29 AM
Winternova posted...
Mutant1988 posted...
At least they seize to function to due to end user error or natural degradation. They don't seize to function because it's no longer profitable to maintain functionality.

Cease to function.

"Seize" means to grab something suddenly and forcibly. "Cease" means to stop doing something.

My bad.

Was that all? Nothing relevant or worthwhile to contribute?

Oh, sorry, of course not.

I forgot who I was talking to.

TheBlueStig posted...
Mutant1988 posted...
That said, I really want DVDs and optical media to die out soon in favour of solid state disk/read-only flash memory formats.

So you want things to become 10 times more expensive than it is now?

Quality costs.

It's a foreign concept to the general consumer, I know. Especially gamers, who want more and more, but expect to pay less and less.

Physical media will ALWAYS come down to Cost-Per-Megabyte, and optical discs will always be more cost effective than solid state.

Well aware of that.

And I think it sucks.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#22DakhanavarXPosted 5/9/2013 8:31:38 AM
By the time my disks no longer work due to "natural causes", I probably won't be playing them anymore. Heck, I probably won't even own most of them by then. 20 years from now, I'll be playing mostly games that were made 16+ years from now.

I like to go back every once in a while to rekindle a fire, but I don't often spend any serious time with older games. Not because I don't like them, but because I already played them when they were current and there's far too many worthwhile games out there for me to keep playing those over & over again.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#23TheBlueStigPosted 5/9/2013 8:39:28 AM
Mutant1988 posted...
Quality costs.

It's a foreign concept to the general consumer, I know. Especially gamers, who want more and more, but expect to pay less and less.

Yeah because the NeoGeo games sold so well starting at $110 and going up to $250 per game....

Solid State has LIMITATIONS, and those limitations are increase in costs, and those are directly passed on to the consumer, they are NEVER eaten by the hardware maker or developers or publishers.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#24moneyman80Posted 5/9/2013 8:40:28 AM
Checked my Dreamcast games and a few of them had some holes. I am not happy. I'm afraid to check my music cd collection or my PS1 games. You can say to go digital but a lot of these older games can't be found on official online stores for download. Plus you have to deal with DRM. You could go more shady routes but they aren't always guaranteed to work. It's very depressing for a collector.
---
Not changing my sig until the New Jersey Devils win their fourth Stanley Cup. Started 5/13/11
#25ish0turfac3Posted 5/9/2013 8:47:56 AM
I have cd's and disk based games that are over 15 years old and still work fine.
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3 - Steam ID: ish0turfac3
\\//ulcan4life
#26GGearXPosted 5/9/2013 8:59:00 AM
I love cartridges better than CDs.
Just blowing into then is just.... A kick of nastolgia. (nostalga, nastyolga)

Blowing into a Cartridge to fix it>>>>> having a scratched cd.
---
GT: KryDamoure (The male version of Tomoko Kuroki)
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#27SonyHoundDawgPosted 5/9/2013 9:22:15 AM
Even if you keep your cd's/dvd's in perfect working order, after like 100 years or so, the data on just decays it wont be readable anymore. So anyof you planning on passing a massive game collections ps1 onward to family, your giving them a bunch of crap in the future.
#28SunDevil77Posted 5/9/2013 9:24:54 AM
GGearX posted...
I love cartridges better than CDs.
Just blowing into then is just.... A kick of nastolgia. (nostalga, nastyolga)

Blowing into a Cartridge to fix it>>>>> having a scratched cd.

It's true. this new generation of kids will have pansy-lungs compared to us.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#29crimsonclaw111Posted 5/9/2013 9:26:37 AM
Stack your **** vertically people, it prevents disc warping and rot when stored on a shelf away from sunlight.

All of my PSX games still work fine. And even if they don't, there'll be so many options to play old games that it won't even matter.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
3DS FC: 2981 - 5506 - 6390
#30fiasco86Posted 5/9/2013 9:27:09 AM
Mutant1988 posted...
Winternova posted...
Mutant1988 posted...
At least they seize to function to due to end user error or natural degradation. They don't seize to function because it's no longer profitable to maintain functionality.

Cease to function.

"Seize" means to grab something suddenly and forcibly. "Cease" means to stop doing something.

My bad.

Was that all? Nothing relevant or worthwhile to contribute?

Oh, sorry, of course not.

I forgot who I was talking to.

I think what he contributed was very worthwhile to you personally, if not to the conversation.
---
Halo 1 LAN vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjWnJU2EKY