This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Those of you who have massive disc-based collections are fools.

#51adroge01Posted 5/9/2013 11:02:36 AM
Nate_Dihldorff posted...
Was browsing NeoGAF and came across a thread mentioning this-

http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/Disc-Rot/An-important-note-to-Video-Game-Sellers-and-Buyers-1337.php

My physical disks will last much longer than any vendor/company is willing to keep their always online system running. Who is the real fool here?
#52StucklnMyPantsPosted 5/9/2013 11:04:59 AM
Stack your **** vertically people, it prevents disc warping and rot when stored on a shelf away from sunlight.

Seriously?!? If that's the case, I'm going to rearrange my collection very soon then. Is this really true?
#53BcowmanPosted 5/9/2013 11:08:16 AM
So many people who didn't read the article. For ****'s sake.
#54TeraPatrick2008Posted 5/9/2013 11:18:57 AM
Why are 6 year olds allowed to make topics?
#55crucialPosted 5/9/2013 11:18:58 AM
Not really a problem anymore since they switched glue's,nothing will last forever but people said the same crap about vinyl in the 70's and look how that turned out,if people can keep a 60 year old comic book in perfect condition people can keep these for 30+ years easy.

The first DVDs released used horrible glue's made in mexico that would split the disc from the front to the back and would make ur disc look cloudy then would just not work,I owned a few that was starting to rot but if you have a bought a disc after 2002 or 2003 you should not have any worrys.

I own CDs from the late 80's that are still flawless but CDs are a little less sensitive then DVD's.

Blue rays are harder to keep mint so you have to be more careful with those for sure but those will last 50 years or more.
#56crimsonclaw111Posted 5/9/2013 11:34:26 AM
Stack your **** vertically people, it prevents disc warping and rot when stored on a shelf away from sunlight.

Seriously?!? If that's the case, I'm going to rearrange my collection very soon then. Is this really true?

Seriously.

Games should be lined up vertically anyway, it looks much nicer than a random horizontal stack of games lying around a room or entertainment stand.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
3DS FC: 2981 - 5506 - 6390
#57shawnmckPosted 5/9/2013 11:58:45 AM
What is the purpose of this topic anyways...?
Am I supposed to get rid of all my discs in favor of cartridges, digital-downloads...or what ?

I take care of my things, so I bet my games will be good for another 40 years.

BTW
I still have PS1 & 3DO discs that are in near mint condition. And they are already near 15 - 20 years old.

So the only people that should be worried are those that treat their things like crap...which in that case is their own fault, and NOT the fault of the media.

Oh yeah, another BTW....
Cartridges can corrode (because they have metal parts)....discs CAN'T.
So put that in your pipe & smoke it.
#58GGearXPosted 5/9/2013 12:00:22 PM
eternalblue02 posted...
The only fools are people who don't take care of their games.

It's not hard to buy a duplicate/sealed game and vacuum pack it for safe keeping if you collect like myself.

P-pics? I never seen someone do that before.
---
GT: KryDamoure (The male version of Tomoko Kuroki)
.............I'm a very shy guy....... *blushes *
#59TheBlueStigPosted 5/9/2013 12:02:44 PM
shawnmck posted...
What is the purpose of this topic anyways...?
Am I supposed to get rid of all my discs in favor of cartridges, digital-downloads...or what ?

I take care of my things, so I bet my games will be good for another 40 years.

BTW
I still have PS1 & 3DO discs that are in near mint condition. And they are already near 15 - 20 years old.

So the only people that should be worried are those that treat their things like crap...which in that case is their own fault, and NOT the fault of the media.

Oh yeah, another BTW....
Cartridges can corrode (because they have metal parts)....discs CAN'T.
So put that in your pipe & smoke it.

Technically disc foil is metal, and can corrode, especially if you drop some kind of liquid on it and never properly clean it. That's why those super-cheap CD-R's without the protective paint coat are NOT a good idea.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#60ZerabpPosted 5/9/2013 12:06:41 PM
Every Single CD, DVD, PS1, PS2, Gamecube etc still work...
---
XBL Gamertag:SentinelZ
PSnetwork ID: SentinelZ