This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Those of you who have massive disc-based collections are fools.

#91Gandalf the IstariPosted 5/9/2013 5:36:11 PM
Doesn't change that the discs are so much cheaper than downloads usually after >3 months or so.
#92LiteUpSkeletonPosted 5/9/2013 5:41:38 PM
OK, so we lose our discs to rot and we lose our downloads when for example MS stopped running XBL on the original Xbox. We will lose all our XBOX360/PS3 downloads at some point.

We can't win. LOL
---
And to think... I hesitated.
#93FayeLadyPosted 5/9/2013 6:08:44 PM
My Sega CD, Saturn, PS1 and Dreamcast games still work fine, and I use them quite often.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#94NintendologicalPosted 5/9/2013 8:41:58 PM
PPPPLAASSUMA posted...
...stuff...

If you can't tell when someone is simply making a topic and an assertion just to mess with the easily goaded, then the internet will be more rough for you than Rebecca Martinson's letter was for her former sorority sisters. Seriously, disc based games are nothing new. CD technology is nothing new. People are aware that the top layer is the data and not the bottom layer. When someone says "if you have a massive disc collection, you are a fool", that is a clear jab at the fact that PC gamers have abandoned disc games in favor of digital downloads from Steam. I mean, the guys post and title are so meme filled. I mean...woosh. Seriously.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#95SuperSocratesPosted 5/9/2013 9:11:21 PM
While the topic was probably created to incite anger, it was still useful in bringing this issue to others' attention. Unfortunately, it appears that not too many of the other posters have read the article. Please do so before commenting.

Disc, bit, and software rot are all very worrying for me. I do not like the digital format very much, but it appears that the physical format itself has more issues than I had previously accounted for.
---
Ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
#96squidney2k1Posted 5/9/2013 9:15:07 PM
New and exciting.
---
\m/ (O_o) \m/ Alan Wake deserves a full sequel. Xenosaga Deserves a full sequel. Dark Cloud deserves a full sequel.
#97FoppePosted 5/10/2013 1:31:19 AM
Winternova posted...
Foppe posted...
Does my Sega CD games still work?
Eyup.
Does my Turbo CD games still work?
Eyup.
Does my 3DO games still work?
Eyup.
Does my CD-i games still work?
Eyup.

Does your subject-verb agreement suck the dead?
Eyup.

Do you love my sucking skills?
Eyup.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#98iceman505Posted 5/10/2013 6:18:48 AM
Killah Priest posted...
uhh no, what he is saying is no matter how well you take care of your discs they aren't designed to last forever.

Neither are you, or I, and I have not experienced this with any disc, ever. Some of my first PC CD-Rom games have hit the 20-year mark. Still work like a charm. Even then, it's most common for cheaply pressed discs, like the CD'rs that come in those huge 50 packs. Sure, they'll break down eventually, but if they can reach the 20 year mark with no visible sign of degredation, I think they'll be good for a bit longer.

I'd also wager the average lifespan of a properly pressed disc is longer than that of the average HDD. Servers will be shut down with DD too. Basically, no matter which way you go, at some point down the road it will cease functioning. Oh, and we'll also all die one day too, that puts a bit of a damper on the ability to play games.
#99FoppePosted 5/10/2013 8:23:07 AM
The best solution is to print out the sourcecode on paper.
That way we can recreate the game if needed.
...but paper wont last forever...
So let's paint it in caves, like cave paintings. They have found cave painting that's 40,000 years old, that should be enough.
...but computers wont last forever...
...damn...
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#100chaos_belmontPosted 5/10/2013 9:22:41 AM
Don't drop your disc in the tray, put it down gently.

Put it down horisontally with the disc tray otherwise it will scratch.

That is all you need to do, to hard for most especially americans BUT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? teach them to read? DON'T THINK SO!
---
Sorcerer, king of dark intentions, pro skiller, sensual pleasures pirate, constant hankering for honey, sprinkly toes thrillseeker extraordinaire.