This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do people even care about console exclusives these days?

#1N7SpectrePosted 5/9/2013 1:31:13 PM
Most of the top-selling games nowadays are multiplatform, and what used to be exclusive has now become multiplatform (Mass Effect series going to PS3, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear going to Xbox 360, etc...)

Other than Nintendo's IPs, there doesn't seem to be as many exclusives today compared to previous gens. I don't think it's a bad thing, it just means that you won't miss out on too many games when choosing one console over another.
---
"Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is MORE COWBELL!!!"
#2ryan_eyeballPosted 5/9/2013 1:36:58 PM
N7Spectre posted...
Most of the top-selling games nowadays are multiplatform, and what used to be exclusive has now become multiplatform (Mass Effect series going to PS3, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear going to Xbox 360, etc...)

Other than Nintendo's IPs, there doesn't seem to be as many exclusives today compared to previous gens. I don't think it's a bad thing, it just means that you won't miss out on too many games when choosing one console over another.

To me exclusives mean a lot. I would say most games I play are exclusives. So far this year I've played Dead Space 3, Crysis 3 (Multiplat).

Exclusives: God of War Ascension, Xenoblade, Ni No Kuni, Gravity Rush, The Last Story, Gaucamelee, and about to start Halo 4.

I am generally disappointed in Xbox's lack of exclusives. I won't pick up the next Xbox if they just stay with two major exclusives. Its just a waste of money to own both Xbox and PS4.
---
PSN: Reign_Of_Fire88
#3SunDevil77Posted 5/9/2013 1:40:20 PM
I don't because I have all the consoles, and always will.
---
You'll...never see me coming.
#4Dragon NexusPosted 5/9/2013 1:51:45 PM
Exclusives don't really matter after the 3/4 point of a generation's life span, since most people have made their decision by that point.

Exclusives exist for one purpose. To sell the console. Once people have made their decision and settled into their console (or consoles) of choice, the only remaining option is to make money. Go multiplay, cast as wide a net as you can within reason.

A new generation is usually the place to look for new exclusives.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#5Res5Posted 5/9/2013 1:56:31 PM
They are far less prevalent than they used to be, yeah. What's the point of having so many console choices if they are all gonna have the same thing? At least the handheld systems don't share many games but if you've got a PS3, you'll have most games on the 360.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#6PrealienkingPosted 5/9/2013 2:04:43 PM
They are to a lot of people...

but not to me. I couldn't care any less about exclusives. The amount of good multiplatform games greatly outnumbers the number of good exclusives, and I have a very limited time to play games, so I just play on the console I feel more comfortable playing on. If I miss an exclusive, then boohoo, it'll be released in an HD pack next-gen, anyways.
#7Arucard05Posted 5/9/2013 2:06:12 PM
As far as third party goes, you're absolutely right. The idea of an exclusive is disappearing.

When it comes to first party though, it only looks that way from a 360 owner's perspective. Here's hoping they've been using the last three years to launch the 720 with a bang, eh?
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#8foodeater4Posted 5/9/2013 2:38:10 PM
They do matter a little bit to me.

This gen, I really dont care about Sony exlcusives so much.

Gears of WAr and Halo are two of my favorite franchises, especially Gears. Depending on what happens with Gears next gen, if it goes multi plat or stays MS may factor in what console I buy. Ive enjoyed other MS exclusives like Alan Wake, Kameo, Fables, etc, but those I basically played once and were done, and Im a pretty big replayer.

Not much on the sony console intrests me this gen, dont care about god of war, any exclusives jrpg or their shooters, metal gear etc. The only thing I'd probabaly buy if I had a PS3 is demons souls, and maybe Uncharterd.

I'd prefer exclusives go away so I can just focus on one console. Less to buy, less crap in my already crowded entertainment center.
#9hak145Posted 5/9/2013 2:43:15 PM
yes i do care. to me there important in differentiating one console from another. i feel like there this nagging perception that since sony and microsoft are in direct competition with one another, that they have to have the same amount of of exclusives. It is a human tendency to view rivals as equals if you will.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#10Solid SonicPosted 5/9/2013 3:16:25 PM
I certainly don't.
---
Every post I make is with integrity and sincerity. I'm pretty sure you're the troll, not me.