This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do people even care about console exclusives these days?

#11GrischnakPosted 5/9/2013 2:30:56 PM(edited)
Exclusives matter to me because I buy all consoles and if all the consoles had the exact same games then I probably wouldn't. Which I guess would save me money...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/Enishii/fs_overall.png
#12Res5Posted 5/9/2013 2:33:07 PM
Grischnak posted...
Exclusives matter to me because I buy all consoles and if all the consoles had the exact same games then I probably wouldn't. Which I guess would save me money...

This is exactly why I think there should be one central console. True that competition can make console developers to be better but I should think that the game developers and their need for better technology would push the console devs enough to keep it going.

Technology continues to grow regardless of competition anyway. It's based on need, not competition.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#13ebullientprismPosted 5/9/2013 2:33:52 PM
They care about important exclusives. Not the breadth of many unimportant ones.
---
Put this in your sig if you agree - "probably because mw2 felt like a real sequel and uncharted 2 was more of an expansion pack"
#14GrischnakPosted 5/9/2013 2:45:52 PM
Grischnak posted...

This is exactly why I think there should be one central console. True that competition can make console developers to be better but I should think that the game developers and their need for better technology would push the console devs enough to keep it going.

Technology continues to grow regardless of competition anyway. It's based on need, not competition.

Monopolies are rarely good things. If there was only one console then that console maker would have everyone by the balls. For example, with DRM. Don't like always-on DRM? Tough. You gotta accept it. What other choice would you have? Never play console games again?
---
#15Res5Posted 5/9/2013 2:54:49 PM
True but with the way things are now our choices hardly matter. If there were more exclusives worth talking about then the money would be far more worth it.
---
Welcome....to the next best thing
http://highresgaming.blogspot.com
#16NintendologicalPosted 5/9/2013 3:36:01 PM
I don't spend my money in such a way that I will own every gaming platform, so I prefer to pick the platform with a distinguished library and a constant stream of content. In my case that is Steam, but even when I bought consoles, it mattered to me what one platform offered over another. I know that Microsoft believes that services will differentiate their platform, but I could care less about Facebook or paying twice to use Netflix.

Microsft gets a round of applause for knocking the ajapanese so far off balance that the west regained dominance for the forst time since the Atari 2600. However, Microsoft could have sealed Sony's fate if they were more worried about securing exclusives and fhnging their ridiculous royalties policy so that more developers would exclusively support the Xbox 360.
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#17beastwarkingPosted 5/9/2013 4:15:01 PM
I like exclusives: they give me a reason to buy a console over another. Secondary features like Netflix and Facebook don't interest me as I buy consoles for games, not features I can use better on my computer and tv set.
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong
Hail to the king, baby
#18Perfect LightPosted 5/9/2013 5:40:26 PM
If Microsoft doesn't come out with some good exclusives, I will be switching to Sony for next gen. They have a ton of exclusives I like and literally the only thing keeping me on Xbox is the controller, which isn't enough anymore. Why get both consoles when I can just get one? Right now I own a PS3 for the exclusives and Xbox 360 for everything else, but next gen I'll just get a PS4 and get everything I could ever want.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#19raintree_leafPosted 5/9/2013 8:48:46 PM
Perfect Light posted...
If Microsoft doesn't come out with some good exclusives, I will be switching to Sony for next gen. They have a ton of exclusives I like and literally the only thing keeping me on Xbox is the controller, which isn't enough anymore. Why get both consoles when I can just get one? Right now I own a PS3 for the exclusives and Xbox 360 for everything else, but next gen I'll just get a PS4 and get everything I could ever want.

Same thoughts. I have both xbox and ps3. After comparing the exclusives and multiplatform and if things still stay the same in the next gen, I will be just buying myself a PS4. Microsoft risks losing its slight advantage over Sony.
---
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." ~Buddha
#20GrischnakPosted 5/10/2013 12:26:38 AM(edited)
True but with the way things are now our choices hardly matter. If there were more exclusives worth talking about then the money would be far more worth it.

Depends on what you consider worth it. I currently own every major console/handheld other then a Wii U and all those purchases were worth it to me. Sure, I got far more playtime out of 360/PS3 then my Wii, but I still don't regret getting a Wii. As for the monopoly point, our choices do matter because the threat of losing customers keeps the console markers in line to a certain degree. Give one of them all the power and who knows what they'd do? Raise prices across the board? Have a mandatory subscription fee? Block all used games? They could do almost anything and there would be nothing we could do other then walk away from the console game industry. A one console monopoly is not any sort of solution.
---