This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games in USA = Product. Games in Japan = Art

#21Evel138Posted 5/10/2013 5:58:24 AM
Guys that harbor these romantic notions about Japan make me laugh. Japanese games, in general are no more "art"than any Western games can be considered "art".

They're both no more or no less "art" or "product".
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Mad Moxxi
http://fav.me/d5g9oo0
#22creep50Posted 5/10/2013 6:02:38 AM
GamerSanta posted...
USA

Call of Duty
Assassin's Creed
Elder Scrolls
Halo
Guitar Hero
Madden

Multiplayer-based
Heavy DLC
Ambience Soundtracks
Pre-order DLC

Japan

Okami
Final Fantasy
Super Mario Galaxy
No More Heroes
Asura's Wrath
The World Ends With You

Single Player-based
Rare DLC
Unique Soundtracks
Pre-order art books

Neither is better than the other. Both are different.

why do people do this....Assassin's Creed is a french game

and for everyone els most rockstar games are made in the uk
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#23GraviosDestroyRPosted 5/10/2013 6:03:33 AM
Japan just knows that to sell their product, they need to present it as "art", USA is more about realism

and the DLC thing is wrong too
---
GT: Men At Wok
#24pothocketPosted 5/10/2013 6:25:51 AM
How are you defining "art"? From a screenshot? I got bad news for you, games are interactive and screenshots are not games. Thus, you cannot use screenshots as evidence of games being art.

For me, the closest games to have reached "art" status is the Portal series. No other games I have ever played have followed the 3 Act structure of introduction, growth, and confrontation like Portal does. But it's hard to capture that concept in a screenshot so I understand why most people don't get it.

If you guys want to know more about it and how the pacing of gameplay and narrative both follow that 3 Act structure, I'll gladly break it down for you guys/gals.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#25SheepinatorPosted 5/10/2013 6:48:12 AM
Games made in Japan are often:

1) Kick players in the balls because that's why they buy the game, right? With lack of appropriate checkpoints, forced grinding, taking control away from player for multiple seconds while enemy takes most of a health bar, etc.

2) Repeat bosses and levels multiple times to mask the lack of content.

Exceptions being Nintendo and Platinum Games (exception for Platinum being Anarchy Reigns which fits both the above).
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#26DoukouPosted 5/10/2013 7:16:58 AM
That's cause the fatherland of Nihon is the greatest nation of them all. Why do you think Nihon has never lost a war?
---
Don't read this sig.
#27SolidKnightPosted 5/10/2013 9:24:47 AM
Doukou posted...
That's cause the fatherland of Nihon is the greatest nation of them all. Why do you think Nihon has never lost a war?

^ This. Who needs tactics when you can march into machine gun fire?
#28BuyersRemorse55Posted 5/10/2013 9:41:44 AM
Final Fantasy certainly is not art. Its a just crap rpg, churning out garbage sequels, thats a product if anything.

Hell, I'd say a game Mass Effect Trilogy is more art then anything outta japan this gen.
#29GamerSanta(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2013 10:03:31 AM
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
Final Fantasy certainly is not art. Its a just crap rpg, churning out garbage sequels, thats a product if anything.

Hell, I'd say a game Mass Effect Trilogy is more art then anything outta japan this gen.

I don't ever recall a painter selling his work and then saying "if you want the the rest of the painting, you will need to pay me extra".

You could have at least chosen a franchise that actually had depth instead of a shallow, cash cow.
---
My magnificence knows no bounds.
#30EvilCactusPosted 5/10/2013 10:08:39 AM
Absolutely nothing associated with Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid can be even remotely considered art.
---
sig here