This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never played a final fantasy game...13 good place to start?

#1Walkman_005Posted 5/13/2013 11:15:05 PM
I'll read up on the story if need be, just looking for a new rpg.

Is 13 a decent starting place? Or decent game even?
#2stargazer1981Posted 5/13/2013 11:25:03 PM
Heavily mixed reviewed and polarizing game. That goes for the whole series, quite frankly.

In my opinion, if you have access to a PlayStation console, you could start with any of the games from I-XII (XI being an MMO, you can skip that one if you're looking for a straight RPG and not a grind-fest MMO with a sub fee).

I'd personally start with IV, or VI. Hell, I'd even put Tactics up there. Most people might say VII though.
---
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi
#3mtjormitchPosted 5/13/2013 11:27:40 PM
Tactics is NOT a good place to start out IMO. The best place to start has to be FF10. It is before Square lost all Talent and it actually is pretty awesome even now.

FF4, FF6, FF7, FF9, and FF12 along with 10 which I listed are great ones. But do NOT play FF2. That one is regarded as the worst in the entire damn series.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#4DividerByZeroPosted 5/13/2013 11:30:09 PM(edited)
Don't worry about story, none of the FF games are connected, minus minor references that you don't need to get in order to understand the story.

I started with X, but you can start almost anywhere. Stay away from Mystic Quest and XIII until you get a bit more into it. They're the most unpopular of the bunch, I've found.

But do NOT play FF2. That one is regarded as the worst in the entire damn series.

I've never heard this.
---
http://www.dividerscorner.blogspot.com/ - Newest Article: Game Journalism
GT: TG Divider | NP:Call of Duty: Black Ops, Mass Effect 3, Rock Band 3, Dark Souls
#5MR_SorenPosted 5/13/2013 11:29:47 PM
The stories are all unrelated, so you don't need to read up on the ones you missed.

I'd probably start with an older one if you have access to any other consoles. IV is probably the best one, but VI, VII, and X also have a lot of fans.
---
Blog: .............. http://red-grenade.com
Gamertag: .... rjcarello
#6WhiteBaitKentPosted 5/13/2013 11:41:48 PM
Id say start with XIII. Since you've never played any of them before, you wont have high expectations of it and no previous FF experiences to compare them to. If you like it, you can say that you enjoyed XIII (which not a lot of people do, it's definitely not terrible though), if not, jump onto one of the older ones (SNES or PS1). It's always nice to go from something decent to something even better to something even better and so on and so forth.
---
shinkuu aruket
#7beautifuldreamsPosted 5/14/2013 12:06:45 AM
6 & 9 or bust

13 is alright, but tends to be a bit repetitive from chapter 6 or so till almost the end
---
nyuuuuuuuuu~
#8xChaosLordxPosted 5/14/2013 12:07:12 AM
FFX is a good one to start with. If you got a PS2, I think you can still get that for cheap.
#9TBD2009Posted 5/14/2013 12:17:37 AM
I had a fun time with FFXIII and FFXIII-2 (and eagerly await XIII-3), but I'd say if you have access to the older games, give those a shot too.

My personal favorite is FFVI (it devoured my entire three month summer between freshman and sophomore year), and I still like to dust it off and play it. Definitely a strong contender for "Best Final Fantasy".

If you just want to give FFXIII a shot, because you found it "for super cheap", it's not a bad game. Many die-hard Final Fantasy fans flipped tables and lost their tea, because they saw it as not being a "true Final Fantasy" for whatever reason die-hards tend to flip tables for... but I did enjoy it.

Just be warned, in advance, there ARE items in the game that are "one time only!" and are vital to getting the "Collect all weapons and accessories" achievement... and there is a specific area in the game that you MUST finish all of one "puzzle" to be able to 100% the game's achievement lists. I won't tell you what it is (SPOILERS), but I figured a warning, at least, is better than playing for fifty hours, only to find you have to start all over again.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/PSUTerra
#10mtjormitchPosted 5/14/2013 12:19:45 AM
Also... I know that this doesn't belong here. But if you aren't a huge fan of how nice and happy FF games can be. Play the Shin Megami Tensei games. Seriously. Just let me know if you wanna hear more about them. Let me give an overview on Nocturne.

It all starts with the end of the world and as the world itself into a spherical inside out world. A event known as the conception has happened, you, a teenager are then implanted with what seems like a parasite that transforms you from being a human to a half demon human hybrid and now you have to find your friends and somehow turn the world back to normal... or not... depends on how you are feeling and who is right. It has the toughest bosses ever and you really feel like you are fighting against hell itself most times.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.