This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Slim Open tray problem

#1BrutalBrockenPosted 5/15/2013 9:18:56 PM
My Xbox 360 Slim is experiencing what seems like a common problem.
When it put a game in it reads for a few seconds then says OPEN TRAY, a few of my friends are having this problem also. I read on youtube about various solutions and I'm trying to get other peoples advise. I'd rather not spend another $200 to get a new Xbox or $99 for Xbox to take a month to fix it. Thanks
---
1 Brocken to rule them all!!
XBOX- Brutal Brocken PS3- BrutalBrocken
#2Sturmmann20hzPosted 5/15/2013 9:26:57 PM
Any solution you get from here or Youtube will just be temporary anyway. Just send it to Microsoft and play your PS3 in the meantime.
#3BrutalBrocken(Topic Creator)Posted 5/15/2013 9:38:18 PM
yeah, it all seems temporary. most of the solutions involve hitting it or tearing it apart and moving the laser around
---
#4BrutalBrocken(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 3:09:23 AM
Bump for the morning people
---
#5Dragon NexusPosted 5/16/2013 6:23:23 AM
Any solution will be temporary?
The big solution would be to open up the Xbox and replace the DVd drive with a brand new one. That's hardly temporary and it's exactly what MS would end up doing, assuming they don't ship you a refirb.

Honestly, replacing the DVD drive is one of the easiest home repairs you can do on a 360.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#6NeVaRmoorePosted 5/16/2013 7:59:25 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Any solution will be temporary?
The big solution would be to open up the Xbox and replace the DVd drive with a brand new one. That's hardly temporary and it's exactly what MS would end up doing, assuming they don't ship you a refirb.

Honestly, replacing the DVD drive is one of the easiest home repairs you can do on a 360.

Except it's not a simple swap and he may not be comfortable flashing a new drive or removing the board from the faulty one.
#7LINK676Posted 5/16/2013 8:27:25 AM
I had this issue with my first slim and the only thing I could do to get it working was hit the console with my controller as the tray was closing and being read. After sending it to Microsoft and getting a replacement I haven't had any problems since.
#8Killah PriestPosted 5/16/2013 9:28:48 AM
I had this issue with one slim, happened really early on and I got it replaced... never happened with the new one, I have another one as well and that one has been running like a champ.

old models I'd get Open tray every 3-4 months like clockwork.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#9BrutalBrocken(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2013 9:17:39 PM
I destroyed it, now to buy a new one
---
#10Lucha_VillaPosted 5/20/2013 9:27:22 PM
SMH people who don't wanna learn to replace/repair their game systems.