This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dead island first time player

#11vigorm0rtisPosted 5/17/2013 4:50:49 PM
shawnmck posted...

Definitely one of the most underrated games this gen.

I agree. DI is closer the the zombie game I've always wanted than anything else out there.

I liked Riptide more in some ways, less in others. The world's less open, which I don't like, but gameplay tweaks and more variety in gear made up for it.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#12SSJGrimReaperPosted 5/17/2013 4:59:30 PM
Good game to play with friends.
Boring game to play solo.
---
Big Apple, 3 A.M.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdi6ovua8j1r827vgo2_250.gif
#13shawnmckPosted 5/17/2013 5:30:07 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...

I agree. DI is closer the the zombie game I've always wanted than anything else out there.

I liked Riptide more in some ways, less in others. The world's less open, which I don't like, but gameplay tweaks and more variety in gear made up for it.

^ I pretty much agree with you there...
Environments are a bit smaller, but the weapon variety has increased.
I also noticed that healing items heal a bit more, and weapon degrade is a tad bit better (not as much), although it is barely noticeable.
It also seems to me that melee weapons have a slightly increased reach, although I could be imagining it..?

Another thing that bothers me about the complainers, is that they complain this is just an expansion, and that the environments are exactly the same...
This tells me that they either haven't played the game or haven't bothered to play for more than an hour, because the environments (while similar) are still quite a bit different. The city alone is completely different, as instead of a shanty town it is actually more like something you would find in Europe with all the tightly clustered stucco buildings.

But yeah, like you I find that Riptide improved some things, but in a few they aren't the same.
The final boss fight was underwhelming, just like the original...but hey, with New-Game +, it's all good. Besides, the final boss of Borderlands wasn't all that great either.
#14blackhrtPosted 5/17/2013 10:50:26 PM
Dead island is made for multiple playing. Now the question is why is wasn't also made for solo play. You can play it solo, but its a pain.
---
"I live my life 3 videogames at a time. Nothing else matters. Not the mortgage, not my clan and their BS. For those 3 games or less, I'm free."
#15SparkItUpPosted 5/18/2013 8:19:20 AM
TC, if you like zombie games, you should get State of Decay next month.
---
http://youtu.be/HR8Ia6vyV5Q
She's an endless war, she's a hero for the lost cause,Like a hurricane in the heart of the devastation
#16Killah PriestPosted 5/18/2013 8:26:38 AM
I haven't put much time into riptide but I'm liking it significantly less.

seems to have more framerate/screen tearing issues and the zombies don't seem to stagger as easily as they did in the first game so I end up getting hit that much more often.

Probably won't even bother going back to it.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#17Geist des DurcheinanPosted 5/18/2013 8:33:45 AM
If you haven't done it already, change the combat to Analog in the options.
---
"If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted on man, he would kill himself"
#18DarkhorseActual(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 12:25:01 PM
SparkItUp posted...
TC, if you like zombie games, you should get State of Decay next month.

Def getting that :) and what's analog do?
---
GT: ThatguyFromDOOM (no XBL gold until march 15th)
3rd Btn 2nd Marines - kilo co. 2009-2012
#19Geist des DurcheinanPosted 5/18/2013 12:57:43 PM
It changes the combat completely.

You hold left trigger to go into combat mode, pull one way on the stick and then swing it another to swing your weapons. With analog mode on, you can aim at separate limbs and target specific body parts. It really makes the combat better and more involved in my opinion.
---
"If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted on man, he would kill himself"