This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Story vs. Gameplay - POLL

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Story vs. Gameplay - POLL
2 years ago#1
Which is more important? - Results (274 votes)
Story
26.28% (72 votes)
Gameplay
73.72% (202 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Which do you think is more important to a game. Story or gameplay?

I'd say the answer is pretty obvious. Gameplay.
2 years ago#2
Depends on the type of game, but, for the most part, they are pretty even in my book.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
2 years ago#3
The way I look at it is that games are meant to be played, therefore gameplay comes first and foremost and story comes second.

You can get a story out of plenty of other media but only a GAME can deliver gameplay.
2 years ago#4
Super Creatures posted...
Depends on the type of game, but, for the most part, they are pretty even in my book.

I agree with this; in some games story is of huge importance to me, in others it isn't.
---
Do you enjoy gaming related top 10 lists? If so, go here:
http://www.bewaretherobotsquad.com/p/blog-page.html
2 years ago#5
Without a story, why even read/watch/play anything. There have been countless arguments. And let's be honest here, in all mediums where story exists, story is the most important part of all of them. Why not video games? Because people think story=cutscenes or stupid bullcrap. Or because they do not want the medium to grow up away from pieces of crap like Mario so they don't have to think? Who can say. But story is always going to be important, and judging by how developers act nowadays. It is just going to be this generation of foolish gameplay only nutters that are going to die out and be replaced by smarter children of a new generation.

Want my proof of that? Movies. Look at what was being made before Citizens Kane then afterwards. The ones that grew up with it changed the medium even though people denied them being an artform or one which can tell stories. Welp. We are in that stage now in video games. Story is going to ultimately win out in the end, just as all other mediums have gone video games will go as well.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
2 years ago#6
skip2malu52 posted...
The way I look at it is that games are meant to be played, therefore gameplay comes first and foremost and story comes second.

You can get a story out of plenty of other media but only a GAME can deliver gameplay.

Yet most other mediums can't even compare to the sheer length, the depth, or even quality of a video game story these days. And the very fact that gameplay that serves the story like Metro 2033 and Half Life 2. Sorry to say, but that is the only good gameplay, the kind that serves the story. Otherwise what's the point in even playing a video game without a story?

Heck, the only damn reason this medium was legitimized is because of story based video games. Pacman sure didn't have anything to do with that and that is a fact.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
2 years ago#7
This is deciding between good sex and good looks. Most of the time, one needs the other, or it's just lousy.
2 years ago#8
Also. I claim that this poll is officially biased due to the fact that the TC himself added in a strong hint towards gameplay and thus pretty much ruined this poll. If you make a poll. Make it neutral at least. My proof of this?

skip2malu52 posted...
I made a poll. Let your voice be heard so we can end this nonsense once and for all.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927749-xbox-360/66222626

Vote gameplay.

This was in another topic. You OFFICIALLY is encouraging votes for one side and is trying to make people only vote for it. This crap is officially to biased to ever get a reading from so please TC. Either try again in a year or give up on this. It is obvious you have tampered with this far to much.
---
2 years ago#9
video GAME

If I want a great story with awful gameplay I'll read a book.

>flip page to continue reading
---
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/863/kenshiroqs6.gif
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/extremejon/1206682497641.png
2 years ago#10
I'm willing to tolerate a bad story if its got great gameplay.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. Story vs. Gameplay - POLL

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived